T-60: ash versus poplar

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
DJPogoff

T-60: ash versus poplar

Post by DJPogoff » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Hello, all.

I have a Predator Plus, Raptor Plus TK, and T-26. I'm looking for a T-60 but definately want poplar, not ash. I have a few questions about when manufacturing changes were made.

My understanding is that the more desirable T-60s are made in 1981 and later. This is because, starting in '81, the pickups changed from the toaster to the blade type. Also beginning in '81, Peavey began making some T-60s painted opaque and these are supposed to have poplar bodies, while the ones finished naturally continued being made of ash. But, I now find that even some of the '81 and later, opaque painted T-60s are made of ash.

So, are there any well-defined rules by which one can know that a particular T-60 body is made of poplar, or must one ask the seller (when buying online) what the weight is and, from that, infer which wood it's made of? By the way, I've had the impression that the poplar T-60s are much lighter than the ash, while I've seen others state that they're a little lighter. I gotta believe that the poplar bodies are much lighter simply because poplar is much lighter than northern ash.

Thanks very much for any advice on this.

David

Lee60

Re: T-60: ash versus poplar

Post by Lee60 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am

Great Topic! I know there are some very knowledgeable folks here and the T60Mafia board... but both boards seem to be very quiet lately. I think everyone finally got sick of me! :cry:

I always had the impression the earliest T-60's were most desirable because that's when Chip Todd was still in the fold with Peavey. Supposedly, QC of the T-60 seemed to slip after his exit in 1981, which lead to issues like: pin-stripe around headstock was commonly crooked, the newer blade pickups were assembled with stamped covers instead of soldered which caused some PUPs to leave the factory with internal shorts/breaks, plastic nut instead of metal, and maybe different wiring schemes?? Also, some T-60 fans prefer the tone of the toasters over the hotter blades.

A member named Frank N. Peavey has been databasing T-60's for awhile, and can probably give you better information re: wood/color/manufacture date. I've held quite a few T-60's, but only 2 opaque poplars. I guess I'm in the camp that calls them "a little lighter" than their ash sisters. I'm betting it's the heavy hardware/PUPs and body size that still made them feel heavier than the poplar Strat I had.

Good luck!

Lee
Current Peavey roster:
Composer acoustic, Fury bass, Falcon Standard, Patriot (hardtail), Patriot (tremolo), Predator, Reactor, T-15

Non-Peavey
Squier Affinity Starcaster, Taylor 314ce acoustic

Golem

Post by Golem » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:43 am

I don't know what other's desire, but I prefer the earlier models (with toasters not blade) but, even more importantly, I prefer a lighter example of a T-60 to a heavier example.

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Lee60 wrote:I always had the impression the earliest T-60's were most desirable because that's when Chip Todd was still in the fold with Peavey. Supposedly, QC of the T-60 seemed to slip after his exit in 1981, which lead to issues like: pin-stripe around headstock was commonly crooked, the newer blade pickups were assembled with stamped covers instead of soldered which caused some PUPs to leave the factory with internal shorts/breaks, plastic nut instead of metal, and maybe different wiring schemes?? Also, some T-60 fans prefer the tone of the toasters over the hotter blades.
THIS.

Also:

The blades are brighter sounding than the toasters. That might be your thing, might not be.

And yes, you'll need to ask the weight of the painted guitars. Poplar examples run a couple pounds lighter than the typical (over nine pounds on the lighter side) Northern Ash.

Best of luck in your search!

DJPogoff

Post by DJPogoff » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:19 pm

I took advice from you all and bought a T-60 made in 1980 rather than '81 or later. Since my playing is currently limited only to Blues, it occurred to me that the blade pickups, being brighter, would not be as appealing as those which are darker, or mellower, or however they're characterized. Regardless, it sounded like there is greater preference for the toaster pickups; I'll just trust that. Furthermore, since I also trust the claim that the QC went downhill after Chip Todd left, that clinched my decision.

The problem that remains, though, is that the solid ash body makes for a guitar that's heavier than 9-1/2 pounds. I'm nearly certain that the answer to the following is "no" but I'll ask anyhow: is there any source, Peavey or third-party, for light replacement T-series bodies? While it's probably a losing proposition for a third-party to begin making and marketing such replacement bodies, Peavey already has the tooling necessary to churn out poplar (or another light-weight species) bodies to meet whatever demand develops (low or high).

I suppose I can only hope that someone with a poplar T-60 for sale decides to part it out (a tactic I find reprehensible) and I'm lucky enough to spot it early enough to snag the body. On the other hand, it'll probably sell at quite a premium.

Thank you all for your advice.

David

Peavey guitars:
- Predator Plus
- Raptor Plus TK
- T-26
- T-60

Other guitars: PRS, Godin, G&L, Dillion, Gibson, Epiphone, Squire Master Series and Series 24
Alvarez acoustic, Kingston bass (Teisco)

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:52 pm

I) Peavey will never do this, as a) it runs counter to the company's management philosophy, and b) it auctioned off its U.S. tooling a couple years back.

2) Try this guy, he's done it from scratch before: https://reverb.com/shop/mike-s-gear-gar ... r-garage-1.

Best of luck in your search.