Pickups

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
Buddyfrap

Pickups

Post by Buddyfrap » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:54 pm

Hey i rescued a 91 predator from a pawn shop for $61. It has a light yellow/ white paint job. It has orange peel in the paint ( thats what i call it ) and i love it. Looks old and hasnt been taken care of. I use a 35 watt marshall to play around with it. Also have a 130 watt peavey ultra plus half stack which is incredible. Ordered a brass nut for it today. Does anyone have a guitar from peavey with a lipstick pickup in the bridge pickup?. Looks factory to me. I am not crazy about the sound when i go to the pickup in the bridge

Scooterx2

Re: Pickups

Post by Scooterx2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:50 pm

Don't think peavey made a lipstick pu
Jesus, Family, Peavey, & Duct tape in that order !:)>

Buddyfrap

Post by Buddyfrap » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Maybe.... but i looked at the assembly and the lipstick has the same wire as the other 2. Looks factory but i dont know. Seems it would be the first pick up like a tele

Buddyfrap

Post by Buddyfrap » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:20 pm

Peavey reaktor has a lipstick in the neck position. Peavey does use lipsticks.

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Sorry, no stock Peavey Reactor (or Predator, for that matter) was ever offered with a lipstick pickup fitted in either position.

To my knowledge, the only Peavey guitar ever even announced as featuring a lipstick pickup, and this model supposedly had two of them (one in the neck pickup position, and one in the middle pickup position), was the three pickup Generation Chambered EX (see the company's press release at https://peavey.com/news/index.cfm/id/23 ... pport/faq/), a 2007 Asian import that, frankly -- like many Peavey products announced and shown as prototypes to dealers at various NAMM shows over the years) -- I don't think ever made it to retail in the U.S., if anywhere.

BPSUL

Post by BPSUL » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am

A tele (or reactor) neck pickup is not a lipstick pickup Its a regular single coil with a chrome cover.

A lipstick pickup is constructed completely different than any other type of pickup.

Peavey never offered guitars w lipstick pickups.

BPSUL

Post by BPSUL » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:39 am

peavan wrote:I have played on the guitar with lipsticks and without it. And I prefer guitars with lipsticks

Lipstick pickups sound absolutely amazing. Especially for clean sounding or vintage sounding single coil type overdrive. They just wont do metal. I love lipstick pickups.

On a side note, the best sounding lipsticks ive ever heard are the GFS versions. They use Alnico 2 whereas others us A5. They are so warm and jangly. I have them in multiple guitars.