JF-1EX

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
Pappy B

JF-1EX

Post by Pappy B » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:27 pm

I recent bought a JF-1 and the bag/case it came in. When I got it home and started going though it I was pretty disappointed. The case had basically come unglued and a small area of the foam core was damaged. The case and guitar had been invaded by bugs somewhere along the line. The guitar was covered in what looked like auto paste wax.

Got the guitar cleaned inside and out. Had to pull pickups, mounting rings, electronics. Made some brushes and a tool to fit may shop vac hose. It quickly made a great improvement on smell. Had to level the frets, It has been played a lot.

Completely dismantled the case and did some serious cleaning on it then started gluing, patching, and finally got the cover stapled back on. Though it's not a hard shell it makes a good carrying case.

Now I'm very pleased with this guitar. I like the sound and feel of this one more that my Ibanez AM93 and my recent sold Sheraton II. I have quickly become a fan of the Peavey JF-1. This one is trans red, later on I would like one more in tobacco sunburst.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

hamfisted

Re: JF-1EX

Post by hamfisted » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:19 pm

I have had one for about 3 years. A great guitar. Especially for the money.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 pm

If the case and the guitar was in very good to excellent condition this would have been a steel. Given the cleaning and set up on the guitar and having to rebuild the case I didn't get a great deal but I didn't get hurt either. And since I really like it I can't complain. I like the feel of the neck and I'm happy with the pickups. I generally don't change pickups, tuners or bridges unless I'm really unhappy with them. The only thing I want to change out for now is the buttons on the tuners are rough looking. Buttons are cheaper than good tuners. For the time being I just want to enjoy it.

MuttBastard

Post by MuttBastard » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Sweet, sweet guitar! I've had my JF-1EX sunburst for about 8 months, my first and only semi-hollow, and I couldn't be happier!
Got it used from GC, which is always an adventure... UPS lost the first one I ordered, we found a somewhat nicer and pricier replacement at another GC store, which they let me have at the price of my original order.

I'd heard so many bad things about the original tuners, the JF-1 I'd first ordered had had the tuners replaced, so I preemptively bought a set of Grovers before I even got this guitar. No need, the originals are smooth and stable.

I'm a bit of a nut for hard cases. Had a tough time finding a case for the JF-1, apparently because of the neck angle. Epi Dot case wan't even close, couldn't even close the lid! I tried several others... while better than the Epi, still not a good fit. I ended up with an SKB-35 case which fits perfectly! Just a bit on the tight side, but that's what the foam is for, right? Here's a link to the case, maybe someone will benefit from my legwork.
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/ ... o=&c=82&s=

Enjoy!

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:16 pm

That is a nice case. But it is almost as much as I gave for the guitar with the original case.

My case is fine for just storing it when I need to. But it's not good enough to take on a road trip packed with other gear.

I have thought about pulling the cover off of my case, again, and placing Masonite on the top and bottom of the foam core then put the cover back on.