Pawn Shop Salvage - Worth it?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
PokeyPrasch

Pawn Shop Salvage - Worth it?

Post by PokeyPrasch » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Hello,
Just registered here in anticipation of likely picking up a used Peavey at a pawnshop here locally.

It's a Peavey Fury Bass w/ an angled Super Ferrite pup. Early 80's from what I've been able to find on google.

The body looks like it was once natural but looks to have been rattle canned to a thin red.
There are a few bumps and blemishes, it looks to have had a hard life.
The action is pretty high towards the body which makes me worry about the neck, I've been playing bass for a little over a year and don't know much about truss rods, I've only adjusted mine once.
The bridge is pretty rough, it has knobs on the pots, the speed style nobs and they are painted on the top, frets look to be in good shape.

Also, the pawn shop doesn't have any bass amps to try it on.
I was looking for a neat older bass to work on and get familiar with set-ups and maybe try a refinish so a project isn't a big deal, but I don't want to purchase something that isn't salvageable.

The price they have on the bass is $75 but I think it's been there awhile so they might let it go for $50.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Chris Goodwin

Re: Pawn Shop Salvage - Worth it?

Post by Chris Goodwin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:32 am

I would buy it. The pickups along could make you the money back it is not worth putting a lot of money into. Not to mention you can always sand the body down and customize it the way you wanted. Just a suggestion. :D
To BASS or Not to BASS is the question.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Agree with Chris...

I have a T20 bass with that angled pickup, it is my favorite bass tone. Better than some Ibanez and Fenders that I have....Mostly like it better than a T40 as well, but the T40 has more options.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

PokeyPrasch

Post by PokeyPrasch » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks for the answer, I think I will pick it up.

PokeyPrasch

Post by PokeyPrasch » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:25 pm

I ended up picking up the bass for $55, thanks for the advice. I've decided that this will be my first refinish/restore.

I've got most of the paint off, it looks like it has been painted white then a red latex paint over the top. Nasty.

Bought some of the correct knobs $45 (ouch) and probably a new pickguard.
Testing stains and finishes on scrap, may even try a racing stripe.
I'm still having an issue finding a tool that will fit the tortion/truss rod, can't get anything in there.
Here's a picture of the bass originally after a quick cleanup, I will post a pic when I get it done.

Last edited by PokeyPrasch on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oren Hudson

Post by Oren Hudson » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:10 pm

IMO, a great find and deal. I believe that the Fury was the successor to the T-20. Sure looks like it. I have an '83 T-20 in frost blue metallic. Does your Fury have the tilt-a-neck adjustment in the neck plate? It probably should have. In any event, it requires a 1/8 Allen (hex) wrench. The truss requires a 5/16 on a swivel. When you get to the set-up part, you'll want to look at the instructions from Peavey. Keep us posted and have fun with your project. :)
you can't have too much bass

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:09 am

Looks like one of the saddles is missing.
Peavey Transformer 112 (2) and 212.
Peavey Generation EXP

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:47 am

Naw I know for another forum he just forgot to put the saddle back on
after cleaning the bridge up.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

PokeyPrasch

Post by PokeyPrasch » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Oren Hudson wrote:IMO, a great find and deal. I believe that the Fury was the successor to the T-20. Sure looks like it. I have an '83 T-20 in frost blue metallic. Does your Fury have the tilt-a-neck adjustment in the neck plate? It probably should have. In any event, it requires a 1/8 Allen (hex) wrench. The truss requires a 5/16 on a swivel. When you get to the set-up part, you'll want to look at the instructions from Peavey. Keep us posted and have fun with your project. :)
Yes, the Fury has the neck tilt adjustment, they painted over it and the whole neck pocket- working on cleaning it out now. I have a copy of the manual I found on main Peavey site, I will take a look once I get to that, thanks. Still haven't been able to get a socket into the neck cavity, I might have to grind one down, I just need access to a grinder.

Kodiak is right, I forgot to put a saddle back on because it was missing the intonation spring.

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Pokey is the access hole clear ?

Sometimes the wood creeps back over a bit so you don't get the right angle.
5 string Foundation arrives on Monday can't wait,pity I'm away working for
the week.

Earlier I was ordering some wall hangers and there was another Millennium up for grabs.
Couldn't help myself. Peavey count now stands at 9.

Think I'll get a christmas card from Hartley :D
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

PokeyPrasch

Post by PokeyPrasch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:38 pm

The neck cavity is pretty clear, I have a 5/16 socket on a screwdriver w/ a flexible shaft but I'm hesitant to put much force to it. Not sure if I'm pushing on the rod nut or stuck in the wood.

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:30 pm

I wonder if it's maybe gummed up with crud.

Some oil diluted down with lighter fluid dripped carefully onto the truss rod, try not to dribble
any on the wood it makes finishing a hassle, then leave for a while to penetrate will loosen it
up.

Had trouble myself with the Foundation. A metric 4 did the trick,just checked again 4mm fits
all my Peaveys. I used the ball end type.

Maybe applying some heat to the TR with a soldering iron. Just briefly so it expands slightly,if
it's jammed when it settles back that may have loosened it.

Any more Ideas I'll post them. The guy I bought the Foundation 5'er has just text'd to confirm
tomorrows pick up. Roll on Monday.

PokeyPrasch

Post by PokeyPrasch » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:28 pm

So I'm making some progress, cosmetically everything is done with the exception of the clear coat and I haven't decided whether I want satin or gloss but it's looking very nice.

However, I'm stuck on the wiring.
I really don't have any experience except checking and resoldering connections.

Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a slanted pup fury?
Is there anything I need to know before I start?

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:02 am

Jealous, nice find. Did you get a wiring diagram for it?
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

kingfool1

Post by kingfool1 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:57 am

The Seymour Duncan site has wiring diagrams for various pickups/control configurations. It's probably 2 conductors and possibly a shielded (wire mesh around the other wires) or separate ground wire. Just look for a single pickup bass with 1vol + 1 tone control; or even single pickup guitar although the Potentiometers & Capacitors may be different values - where the wires connect should be the same though.