Foundation neck replacement

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
BassoContinuo

Foundation neck replacement

Post by BassoContinuo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Hello,

I've just been turned on to the sleeper that is old Peavey. I bought a cheap '92 Foundation fixer-upper that needs either a refret and a tuner, or a new neck.

I saw a thread asking about replacement necks for Foundations, but it only had a couple responses. What would fit? This is the curvy headstock, not the older harpoon-shaped one. It has a bit of neck dive.

I'd love a G Bass graphite neck, but I don't want to spend much money. If I go the route of replacing tuners and fixing frets, would mini-tuners be enough to fix the neck dive?

Thank you all in advance!

kodiakblair

Re: Foundation neck replacement

Post by kodiakblair » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:24 pm

If you swap the tuners for something lighter that'll improve the balance.

Even better for balance is a properly adjusted strap. I use the same straps on all my Peaveys.
Found no neck dive worth speaking of on the later Foundations but it's definitely present on the earlier models like yours.

A reasonably cheap and easy solution to both neck dive and re-fret issues would be find a cheap Millennium BXP and swap the necks.
They both have the same neck pocket so it'll drop right in,plus if you get an Indonesian BXP it has a truss rod wheel so any adjustments
in the future are simple to do.They also have lightweight Gotoh style tuners.

One of my Foundations has been sporting a BXP Millie neck for years so I know it works.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

BassoContinuo

Post by BassoContinuo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:09 pm

Perfect solution. Thank you!

Daniel irvine

Post by Daniel irvine » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 am

A reasonably cheap and easy solution to both neck dive and re-fret issues would be find a cheap Millennium BXP and swap the necks.
They both have the same neck pocket so it'll drop right in,plus if you get an Indonesian BXP it has a truss rod wheel so any adjustments
in the future are simple to do.They also have lightweight Gotoh style tuners.

One of my Foundations has been sporting a BXP Millie neck for years so I know it works.[/quote]

Hey there guys I'm new to the forum but an old school peavey foundation user
I foolishly added LED LIGHTS to my neck in the early 90's to my 84 foundation
I was wanting to restore this baby back to normal just a question will the necks mentioned above fit my old bass too or just the newer style foundations
If not any idea where I can get a neck
Nothing is wrong with mine it just has been carved out the back and holes drilled through it for the lights and wires

Oh how I thought mark king was so cool back then!

Thanks guys

Jeff Sparks

Post by Jeff Sparks » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:48 pm

I too am wanting a new neck for my '84/'85 Foundation I got new just not sure of the yr...it's 84 or 85 - pearl white with black pick ups & black knows. The #'so on the back of the head stock is #02088357...I'm new here plz be patient lol

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi Daniel & Jeff

Peavey started using CNC from the onset so there's very little deviation from year to year. Say you found a BXP neck but it was a little tight,that's no problem. A few passes either side with sand paper would solve it. Say it was smaller than the pocket, again no problem. Have a look at the gaps on some Fenders,it's very common.

The key area with necks is they lie parallel with the pocket and stay in place. with almost every bolt on neck the G string side faces thin air so that tells you vibrations going side to side have zero impact. If the neck fits the pocket and has the right number of frets then any one will do.

I got my spare necks when Peavey shut down the UK division in 2014. In the USA I'd be phoning Peavey Customer services to see what they had in stock.
Failing that places like Goodwill or CL even eBay might turn one up.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

Daniel irvine

Post by Daniel irvine » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks so much for the info

Daniel irvine

Post by Daniel irvine » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:27 pm

My serial number is #01963943 is that an 1984
I can't work it out ?