New Peavey Owner

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
Rayzorxbass

New Peavey Owner

Post by Rayzorxbass » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1994 Peavey Foundation 5 for $200. This is my first ever Peavey, and now joins my other MIA bass, a Carvin Brian Bromberg 4 string with a drop D.
I know the Peavey will need a new nut so my first question is, what was the original string gauges used on the bass? I'm sure some forum members will also have suggestions on what brand of strings, so I want to hear them.

Also, I'm eager to hear about any maintenance suggestions, things that need to be checked or improved.
If I can

Many Thanks!
RayK

Oren Hudson

Re: New Peavey Owner

Post by Oren Hudson » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Can't help you on the tech stuff, but welcome to the forum.
you can't have too much bass

Rayzorxbass

Post by Rayzorxbass » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Anyone have suggestions for new strings?
I play mostly Country music, and recently switched my Carvin to Fender flatwounds for a more mellow tone. The flats are OK, but I miss having the grip of a round wound string. If I go with round wounds on the Peavey, would they be too bright sounding?

RayK

Camaro Guy

Post by Camaro Guy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:49 pm

I recently came into a Foundation bass and put on Fender flatwound strings. To me, they sound really good and the lack of string noise when moving my fingers is a big plus. They are my go-to strings at this point, and I honestly don't notice a big difference in brightness between flat- and round-wound strings.

Rayzorxbass

Post by Rayzorxbass » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Many thanks Camaro Guy. I have a set of the Fender flats so I'll five them a try.

Camaro Guy

Post by Camaro Guy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Rayzorxbass wrote:Many thanks Camaro Guy. I have a set of the Fender flats so I'll five them a try.
I'll be curious to know what you think. I'm almost at the point of replacing the round-wounds that came on my MIM Fender P-Bass with the Fender flatwounds.

sonic1519

Post by sonic1519 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:19 pm

For strings i've got a set on my it's the new NY XL light scale from D'addario 40/95

Rayzorxbass

Post by Rayzorxbass » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:01 pm

OK, I have another question.
The original nut seems like it make have some type of glue securing it in the slot. Is this the way they came from the factory, and What is the recomended method for removing the nut?

RayK

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:33 pm

All nuts are held on by glue,they slip under tension otherwise.

Tap the nut from the side with a small block and hammer,best secure the bass first. If you're going to a lighter gauge string you can build up the slots
using CA glue. Just do a little drop at a time. If you mess up ? just scrap it back off and start again.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

Rayzorxbass

Post by Rayzorxbass » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:25 pm

kodiakblair wrote:All nuts are held on by glue,they slip under tension otherwise.

Tap the nut from the side with a small block and hammer,best secure the bass first. If you're going to a lighter gauge string you can build up the slots
using CA glue. Just do a little drop at a time. If you mess up ? just scrap it back off and start again.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

RayK

Rayzorxbass

Post by Rayzorxbass » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:45 am

Thanks Kodiakblair!

You were spot on. The nut had three drops of old glue holding it in. I was able to get it dislodged and cleaned up the slot with a nut slot file.
Today, I shaped a new nut from some cattle shin bone I picked up at the local butcher shop. I think the bone nut should provide good transfer of the string tone. Plus, the old nut came out in one piece so I have a good template for the string spacing.

Rayzorxbass

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:49 pm

Glad to have been of help.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

patriotpv

Post by patriotpv » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:18 am

Congrats on the new beastie.

Rayzorxbass

Post by Rayzorxbass » Sat May 13, 2017 12:29 am

Camaro Guy wrote:
Rayzorxbass wrote:Many thanks Camaro Guy. I have a set of the Fender flats so I'll five them a try.
I'll be curious to know what you think. I'm almost at the point of replacing the round-wounds that came on my MIM Fender P-Bass with the Fender flatwounds.
I love the flats on the Foundation 5. So much so that I switched to flats on my Carvin as well. Fits my style of music, and moving up and down the neck while playing seems so much easier. So far the Fender flats have impressed me with how long they hold their treble.

patriotpv

Post by patriotpv » Sat May 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Welcome and congrats on the new bass. Cant beat Peavey for quality and value!

Flatwounds are great use Fenders on --well My Fender and Rickenbastard.--
I use Tape Wounds on the El Degas Eb-3 copy the T-40 and the Peavey Unity Bass
and I JUST tried for the frst time "DR" brand "black beauties" --coated round wounds-- on the Foundation "S"

D'addario Tapewounds are SLICK ----slippery and very intersting. great fun especially on a short scale bass.