New Cirrus Bass vs Old Cirrus BXP Bass

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
studiodtk5

New Cirrus Bass vs Old Cirrus BXP Bass

Post by studiodtk5 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Now that the Cirrus Bass has been reintroduced and it is not made in the USA, what is the difference between it and an older BXP version. As I understand, both are/were made in Indonesia. So is there more similarities to the BXP or the old USA versions of the Cirrus for the new version?
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

kodiakblair

Re: New Cirrus Bass vs Old Cirrus BXP Bass

Post by kodiakblair » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:55 am

There's a few versions of BXP Cirrus.
Early ones were natural finishes and 35" scale.Later ones dropped down to 34" scale,the 4 string versions anyway.
Carbon fibre weave wasn't on either versions of BXP. Later models like the Bubinga have a thin veneer top and a gloss finish.
Gloss finish extends up the neck.

The USA PCB style preamp was changed for a mini potted version. I can't say 100% if it's in the re-issue Cirrus but the Tragic/Void PXD basses
list Cirrus preamps in their spec and it's the mini potted version. I can tell very little difference between the tones on the PXD basses and the USA Cirrus.
Chances are G&B are providing the preamps,they build the Spector "Tone Pump" preamp , OEM for EMG and I believe do the Duncan Designed pickups too.

The new re-issue Cirrus is back to 35" scale and has carbon weave. It also has the "power plate". Personally I've no experience with the plate but a good friend, and ex-Peavey employee, has one on the way. I'm awaiting his thoughts on it's benefits.

Peavey have been saying from the start the re-issue is the same bass as the USA,with the exception of the "power plate", just production moved to Indonesia. Given the price point and spec I'd imagine they will be built in the same Cort factory that builds the G&L,Lakland,Spector & high end Ibanez basses. That's pretty good company to keep as the G&L's etc are well thought of basses.

Can't say for definite until I get the chance to play one but on paper the re-issue is the same as the USA model.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.