Peavey Grind - for real?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
irishman

Peavey Grind - for real?

Post by irishman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi.
From all appearances, the guitar is a nice Grind 5-string, lightly used, very good condition, from a reputable source, with a Peavey case.
I don't know if it has been refinished, but there are NO external markings, except "USA" on the tuners.
I haven't asked them to open it up, or pull a pickup, because I don't know what to tell them to look for.
Is there any not-on-the-outside way to identify the instrument, at least at the level of proving it's Peavey? Pickups? Pots? ...
Kinda hard to imagine someone faking a Grind (the woods, neck-through with stringers, not a terrifically expensive instrument...).
Thanks!

kodiakblair

Re: Peavey Grind - for real?

Post by kodiakblair » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:31 am

Just checked over my Grind. It's the USA bolt on 5'er. Says Peavey made in usa on the headstock with Grind tm up by the hook.
Serial number is just a paper sticker and the Gotoh tuners are unmarked.

My thru neck Grind BXP says handcrafted in Vietnam on the back of the headstock under the lacquer.

I have saw 1 faked Grind but it was unbranded and had the "Power Plate" in the back of the headstock.

Side-note

Not one of the 43 Peavey basses in front of me have "USA" on the tuners,even the Hipshot D-Tuner on the Millennium Plus is unmarked.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.