Rudy Sarzo 1990 - tuners?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
Brudys4

Rudy Sarzo 1990 - tuners?

Post by Brudys4 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Recently acquired a 1990 Rudy Sarzo Signature - awesome bass! Didn't realize that the mounting threads of one of the tuners are stripped and though it is holding ok I prefer to replace it. Poking around online there seems to be disagreement as to whether these were originally made by Schaller or Gotoh. I want to match as close as possible so can someone definitively answer what tuner is needed? Also, in the event that I decide to go the Hipshot drop-D route, which one of theirs would I need. Thanks in advance

kodiakblair

Re: Rudy Sarzo 1990 - tuners?

Post by kodiakblair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:53 pm

The tuners are Gotoh.
Peavey go to the trouble of listing Schaller bridge and Schaller strap locks in the manual as they are trademarks but just say premium tuners.
There's also the gear ratio, 22-1 in Peavey manual. Schaller are 20-1.

I'm glad you asked the question, gave me an excuse to plug in the Sarzo and play for a hour :D
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

Brudys4

Post by Brudys4 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Thanks for the answer! Any excuse to jam is a good excuse. Looking at them close I'm not sure how 'premium' these tuners are so I may replace the whole lot. Hopefully the ones out there now are decent.

I've never owned a Peavey bass before; I've been playing my various Fender Jazz's exclusively for many years. But at a jam a couple years back someone had an early USA Cirrus that played pretty nice so when I stumbled across this Sarzo at a good price I jumped at it. Liking the way it plays and it sounds great for my harder rocking group so I plan on keeping it for those jobs. Will stay with Jazz for my more middle of the road combo and winery jobs.

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm

Gotoh are premium tuners,you just never know who was misusing them before you got the Sarzo :D I've 35 year old basses with Gotoh tuners still working perfectly. That said I've an old Wilson bass with tuners that turn 50 next year :lol:

If you're planning on a D-Tuner swap them all for Hipshot,pretty certain the holes match. There's Gotoh on my Millennium but it's Hipshot on my Millennium Plus,that's the model with the D-Tuner as standard.

You enjoy that Sarzo now.

KB
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

dwade

Post by dwade » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

There was some confusion with the Gotoh/Schaller stuff there for awhile. I have an old Rudy Sarzo bass & it's an awesome instrument. My preamp needs to be replaced, as the pots are noisy & have been 20 years, lol. I've cleaned the heck out of them but they're worn out. They haven't made parts for these basses in a long time, so I'm on the hunt for a suitable replacement preamp. I played my Rudy Sarzo every night for over 10 years. It never let me down. I did replace the original barrel several times before I swapped it for a standard panel mount jack & jack plate.

You've got a great bass. Peavey offered a Randy Jackson bass at the same time. Both basses are built from the Dyna Bass platform. I've been trying to find a Randy Jackson for years. I've doing doing well with a nice stable of Cirrus basses in the meantime.