'91 Dyna-Bass Unity Series LTD

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
Bullnuke

'91 Dyna-Bass Unity Series LTD

Post by Bullnuke » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:17 pm

I just acquired the a '91 Dyna Bass Unity Series LTD and I love it. The battery compartment for the active pick ups is missing the original cover and the previous owner (I assume) replaced it with a solid piece of plastic and 4 screws. I was wondering if anyone knows where I might acquire the original type cover? I contacted Peavey and they gave me a part number, Part # 75051016 = 9V BATTERY PACK LID but they said it was not available. Any help would be appreciated.

kodiakblair

Re: '91 Dyna-Bass Unity Series LTD

Post by kodiakblair » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 am

Does the plastic cover look like this one ?
Sarzo cover.JPG
Sarzo cover.JPG (593.14 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
If it does then it's original :)
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

Bullnuke

Post by Bullnuke » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes that is what it looks like. Interesting, the manual I retrieved from the internet shows the hinged variety so you don't have remove the screws and that is what I was hoping to find. Actually, with my set up, the passive mode works just fine so I really don't need to replace batteries that often.

dwade

Post by dwade » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Those battery covers are no longer available & haven't been for over 20 years. The same was used on my old Rudy Sarzo bass, which is built around the Dyna-Bass platform. Those battery covers were not very durable. I bought a bunch of them because they broke so often. I still have the Rudy Sarzo. It has the Dyna bass preamp, which is noisy as heck these days. They don't make the pots for this preamp any no longer available either. I'm about to search for a replacement preamp so I use the bass again.

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:40 pm

@Bullnuke

I did some hunting earlier and did find the hinged version,looked kinda flimsy. Moved my battery connector to inside the cavity.
Dyna Preamp.JPG
Dyna Preamp.JPG (442.98 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Shame it wasn't the Sarzo. Check out the space you got to play with inside the Sarzo control cavity :D
Sarzo Preamp.JPG
Sarzo Preamp.JPG (300.98 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

dwade

Post by dwade » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:24 pm

That's not what my Sarzo electronics looks like. Mine's exactly like yours. For now. I'm getting ready to change it it. It's too noisy to use.

Great job moving that battery!

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:31 am

@dwade

I know they did a couple of versions with the Dyna preamp but couldn't say if that's the case on the Sarzo. It may well be my Sarzo has one of the later Dyna preamps.

No idea what preamp you have in mind but I've used a couple of Tone Monsters from Guitar Fuel. Sound great,easy to install and very affordable :D
Here's a link to their page.

http://www.guitarfuel.com/Preamps.php