Built-in Pre-Amp is broken, can I still use the PUs?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
Patsch

Built-in Pre-Amp is broken, can I still use the PUs?

Post by Patsch » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Hello everyone!

I own a Peavey Millennium AC BXP, the 5 string model.

Recently my bass stops the output after about 10 minutes of playing. It significantly raises the output for like 20 more seconds and then there is nothing but silence. Since its 2 PUs and I dont expect them both to develop such a weird behaviour in such a short time, I probably can conclude, that the built-in Pre-Amp is broken? (Checked cables, amp, batteries etc, works with my guitar with no problems)
Bought the bass used and restoring the pre-amp sounds like something rather expensive or time consuming, I need my bass quite frequently those days. Soooo, can I trash the pre-amp and rearrange the signal to go from the Pickups directly to the output? Will it sound terrible? Is the magnitude of the output signal still in the usual range of things you can plug into an amp or DI-Pedal? Are the PUs even meant to be used without this specific built-in preamp?

Would really appreciate your help!

kodiakblair

Re: Built-in Pre-Amp is broken, can I still use the PUs?

Post by kodiakblair » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Few questions.

Are you thinking of bypassing all the pots and going straight to the jack socket ? Wire it up passive, maybe 2 Vol/2 Tone or 2 Vol/1 Tone ?
Going passive means tone only does treble cut.

Swapping the preamp doesn't have to be expensive or difficult. This $40 preamp is a great unit and really easy to fit, solder the bridge ground wire and simply attach the pickup wires.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TONE-MONSTER- ... 1438.l2649

It'll give you sweepable Mids just like the Millennium USA. Be aware you will need to buy a dual knob for the Mid pot, about $5.

Good preamp and the folks at G.A.S are great people, I felt the blend pot wasn't 100% right and they sent a replacement over to Scotland F.O.C. and no questions asked. Damn good people :mrgreen:
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.