Flown 3020 cabs???

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
drummercali

Flown 3020 cabs???

Post by drummercali » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:52 am

Hello all,

I am curious about the old 3020 cabinets. I heard there is a theater that has a couple of these cabs flown from a triangle truss... Not sure on the make or strength of the truss, but the big question is are these suckers even supposed to be flown in the first place?

Thanks.
John
RIGHT HEAR PRODUCTIONS
Owensboro, KY
(4) QW218 Subs, (4) QW2 Mains, (4) IPR7500s, (2) IPR2000s, VSX26

Marty McCann

Re: Flown 3020 cabs???

Post by Marty McCann » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 am

drummercali wrote:Hello all,

I am curious about the old 3020 cabinets. I heard there is a theater that has a couple of these cabs flown from a triangle truss... Not sure on the make or strength of the truss, but the big question is are these suckers even supposed to be flown in the first place?

Thanks.
The 3020HT enclosure did NOT have flying hardware on them. Hopefully they consulted with a mechanical engineer and did not simply put dog chain through the handles, which is totally wrong.

drummercali

Post by drummercali » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Marty McCann wrote:
drummercali wrote:Hello all,

Thanks.
The 3020HT enclosure did NOT have flying hardware on them. Hopefully they consulted with a mechanical engineer and did not simply put dog chain through the handles, which is totally wrong.
Just what I was afraid of. I don't know if they did or not, but I hope that's the case. Thanks.
John
RIGHT HEAR PRODUCTIONS
Owensboro, KY
(4) QW218 Subs, (4) QW2 Mains, (4) IPR7500s, (2) IPR2000s, VSX26

Mongo

Post by Mongo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:42 am

Those were awesome sounding enclosures. Marty, would they work flown? I mean assuming there were subs. Curious minds are bored. 8)
Mongo...
"I'm not sure that I understand all that I know about this."

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:39 am

There was actually a sound company in Wichita that modified and flew a bunch of them including the 4 x 15 Subs.

Of course they were not trapezoidal enclosures, so it went against "good science" regarding overlapping response. However most of the industry was still doing things incorrectly in those days.

They actually did not sound bad, if you were close enough to the stage to be in the considerably comb-filtered direct field. However critical distance was diminished due to the flown wall of flat panel sources.

I don't remember all the bands that played through it, when I heard it as is was a whole week-end engagement. I do remember the Allman Brothers with Dickie Betts and Roy Orbinson with Bucky Barrett on guitar.

danielfblades

Post by danielfblades » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 am

I own 4 of the 3020's and 4/15 subs. They make great side fill speakers. I have never seen them flown.

vintageconcertaudio

Post by vintageconcertaudio » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:06 pm

I did a job for a guy about 25 years ago... converting his 3020's to flyable cabinets. He had 2 HT's (horns right) and 2 HTL's (horns left). His plan was to fly one of each per side, side-by-side. I did some 18 gauge steel plates inside the top and bottom of each cabinet. I used L-track top, and bottom, outside the cabinets (bolted through the steel). L-track is that track you see on the floor of airplanes that holds seats down. You can get cargo clips with rings that lock into the L-track. I used shackles through those rings to rig to span-sets, deck chains, fly-bars, etc... The steel plates have a right angle bend on each side, so that they can also be screwed to the sides, along with the bottom of the cabinets. In helping him test the rig... we determined that if we splayed the cabinets slightly, about a fists width... we got great coverage and no cancellation to speak of. I also refinished them in a black coating, and built grills for them. The guy was really happy and he called them the poor mans Clair Bros. S4...