How to replace horn driver in PVX15 speaker cabinet

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
gvictora

How to replace horn driver in PVX15 speaker cabinet

Post by gvictora » Fri May 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Hello,

I have a Pvx 15 speaker which I assume has a blown horn driver. The woofer is fine, but nothing is coming out of the horn. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the old driver. First, I took the front horn cover off, but I discovered no way to remove the horn from the front. Then I removed the back cover plate. I can see the RX 14 horn driver and can reach my hand in there, but the thing won't budge. How do I get it out? I thought about using a oil filter wrench in there to try twisting it off, but that seems a little extreme. Any suggestions?

Also, it doesn't look like Peavey makes just a diaphragm replacement for the RX 14, just the entire driver. I see "after market" replacement diaphragms out there. Anybody every try one? Would I be happy with it, or should I stick to the real thing?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Josjor

Re: How to replace horn driver in PVX15 speaker cabinet

Post by Josjor » Sat May 07, 2016 8:10 am

Sometimes those drivers can be screwed onto the horn lens pretty tight. The filter wrench isn't a bad idea, just go gently and slow.

Have you checked for a lightbulb/fuse on the crossover network? I believe this has that component on there.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Pyshka

Post by Pyshka » Tue May 10, 2016 12:07 pm

OP, did you fix the issue?
Who is going on Dixie Chicks tour 2016 with me! It's gonna be cool, I promise!
Last edited by Pyshka on Sun May 29, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gvictora

Post by gvictora » Tue May 10, 2016 12:40 pm

No, I've been busy and haven't had a chance to do anything about it. I might see if the plastic cabinet comes apart. There are deep holes that I assume have screws in them at the bottom. If the cabinets come apart that would give me much better access. I'll let you know what finally happens, but it'll probably be a week or two.

Thanks for everything!

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Tue May 10, 2016 12:58 pm

gvictora wrote:No, I've been busy and haven't had a chance to do anything about it. I might see if the plastic cabinet comes apart. There are deep holes that I assume have screws in them at the bottom. If the cabinets come apart that would give me much better access. I'll let you know what finally happens, but it'll probably be a week or two.

Thanks for everything!
Yep, if you need to, you can take the front of the cabinet off through those LOOOOOOONG DEEEEEEEEP recessed holes.
www.yandasmusic.com
Neutiquam Erro

gvictora

Post by gvictora » Tue May 10, 2016 1:08 pm

That's good to know! That should work. Then I can get 2 hands on the driver and put some torq on it. That's what I'll do.

Thanks so much!

Mr Meaner

Post by Mr Meaner » Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 am

I own a pair of the pvx15's and the driver seems to have gone out. How easy it to replace, and, can I replace it with a different driver, like the rx22? Or, do I have to stay with the rx14?

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Tue May 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Mr Meaner wrote:I own a pair of the pvx15's and the driver seems to have gone out. How easy it to replace, and, can I replace it with a different driver, like the rx22? Or, do I have to stay with the rx14?
Stay with the RX14. The RX22 won't fit the horn throat and will do very little, if anything, to improve performance or power handling.
www.yandasmusic.com
Neutiquam Erro