1545 TI Crossover

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
xb2003

1545 TI Crossover

Post by xb2003 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:09 pm

I've posted on this forum a few times about my 1545 TI Monitors.. it seems I have had a lot of issues with them. Now I am struggling with the Crossover in at least one of them, and possibly both. I'm trying to figure out exactly which one I would need.

One of the wedges' CD is very quiet compared to the other. But if you continuously send it signal, occasionally the tweeter will get louder (to the point of what I would consider normal), and then it goes back to how it was. As a test, if I bi-amp the speaker the CD is at a much higher level(and this applies to both speakers.)

I also noticed that the tone of the speaker is completely different running through the passive crossover vs. using a crossover set at 1.2k.

Any advice?
Thanks!

1958sedwards

Re: 1545 TI Crossover

Post by 1958sedwards » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi

You did not mention if the crossovers are genuine or aftermarket. The 1545 series of speakers are quite old and you could have a couple of issues.

One could be the input jacks. These are not just simple RTS (ring/tip/sleeve) but have a switching function. If corrosion builds but on these it can severely affect the sound. Depending on the condition, sometimes cleaning with electronic circuit spray and moving the jack in and out can restore normal operation (at least for a while).

It could be a faulty crossover or connection to the board. Look for any obvious signs of leakage from capacitors etc.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Steve

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:22 pm

You mentioned that the tone was different when bi=amping. Does your electronic crossover have CD Horn EQ? Probably not. Read the Tech notes section regarding the necessary CD Horn EQ.

df925

Post by df925 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:53 pm

When I bought my 1245m used, the guy before me said there was something wrong with the crossover as well. he told me just to plug into the high and low inputs.

If I used the full range inputs, all I would get is highs.

The full range input jack is a switch input jack, which means when something is plugged in, it acts like a switch in addition to switch to either use the cross over, or bypass it.

Is it possible the problem is with your full range input jack?

FYI, for my issue I also changed out the caps, just to be sure.

jackson

Post by jackson » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:20 am

Also the OP mention active xover @ 1.2 kHz. Is that that what the passive xover is also? That would definitely make the cab sound different. An active xover could be 24db instead of the passive being 12 or 18 at their specified passive freq. These things also would make a cab sound different too.