Sound System Questions

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
jmichaelp

Sound System Questions

Post by jmichaelp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Rather a newbie question I'm sure to most but looking for some advice.
Four piece band here, guitar, bass, vocalist, and drummer, playing classic to modern rock in small 'dive bar' locations mostly less than 100 patrons. Kick drum is mic'ed, never had a problem with them carrying, just like to give the bass drum some punch. Guitarist and bassist have their own amps, though looking to put them eventually into the sound system so as to reduce stage volumes. Moving to powered speakers to help reduce the equipment load and have picked up a pair of Dark Matter 112's which carry the vocals nicely. My question is we are looking to add a sub(s) to the mix to to help reinforce the kick drum and potentially the bass. In this situation would it be best served by a 15" or 18" sub or set of subs?

thunda

Re: Sound System Questions

Post by thunda » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:59 pm

For your application most any size placed in front of the drummer will work great
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Since you are playing mostly inside four walls, you can get by with a couple of good 15" subs. Going outside, you pretty much need 18" cabinets because so much of your sound dissipates in the open air. I personally don't know how the Dark Matter subs perform, not that they have to be Dark Matter subs. Some other models might do just as well or better. Some of the other guys can chime in on that issue.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 am

I haven't heard the DM subs but the Peavey PVx Sub is a great sounding sub that would work great in your situation.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro