DS3003 info + sp3g small question

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
zvxx

DS3003 info + sp3g small question

Post by zvxx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:14 am

hello there, im thinking about buying four DS3003 cabs that are been sold locally. truth is that i dont need 4 cabs, only 2, but they are selling them as a pack (along with a couple of cs800 powers and crossover, eq, etc) and at a good price. (not crazy price either)

problem is that i cant find much info abut these cabs. and im kinda afraid about the "harshness" of the drivers. they have 22T compression drivers.
as i didnt find too much info on the internet i wanted to ask here. has anyone used this cabs? the driers seem to be 1" throat wide.. thing that scares me a bit. are these drivers repearable?

i have 2 18" subs (rcf diy cabs loaded with B&C speakers). i want to use the system mainly for amall/medium sized electronic events. also small outdoors parties (aka mini raves). but still i will be doing rap shows and other normal music stuff from time to time.

other options for speakers i have are a pair of sp2 bx and a pair of sp3g's.... wanted to ask how would you go between these 2 (beeing used with the 18's subs). i think the sp2bx is a best option right? as they are newer and more up to date. by the way i do care about sound quality,im not only looking for perfomance and ive read that newer sp's sound better , specially in the hig end. that some people find harsh. again my fear with the ds3003.

so, what would you guys advice me? should i stay away of the ds3003's? mainly cause lack of info and scared cause they are a little old (yes i know they have BW's and thats what calls me,but the drivers scare me). or should i just go modern and have 2 sp2bx. i must confess 4 cabs do seem as a sexy idea in my head. but at the same time the ds3003 must be heavy as hell and the design is strange.. kinda made for beeing on the floor but then the highs cant be at ear level. anyway, any info, tip, whatever, would be greatly apreaciated, as i need to make a decision during the week.

also, sorry for my sloppy english, it aint my native tounge so excuse my error's and weird logic. thanks!

Dookie

Re: DS3003 info + sp3g small question

Post by Dookie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:25 am

Those are a SP4 style speaker in a different box configuration. They were made as part of a DJ line peavey had. Tough and sound pretty good overall. I had a pair of the Sp4's and through the years I wish I had kept them.
Parts should be still available though peavey.
If the price was right I'd pick them up. 2 a side, (later under some 2/18 subs) would be a nice setup. Just be sure to angle them out so the coverage doesn't overlap. Back edge touching with about a 6 to 8 inch gap in the front to start.

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/sp-4ti.pdf

zvxx

Post by zvxx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 am

thanks a ton for the reply Dookie. can i bother you again a bit, what do you remember about how those sp4 sounded, driver speaking, compared to newer sp's ? you said you would had kept them, so ytou never felt it was harsh sounding compared to other speakers? pevey and not peavey?

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 am

I never felt they were harsh sounding at all. "Sometimes" a speaker that a person hears at a local club and it sound harsh is just not run correctly or has a terrible input to it. Garbage in , garbage out. The 22 driver has been used by Peavey in many products for many , many years. It still is going strong today. Put a good source in it and it reproduces it that way. In close to 30 years doing sound I've used them all. Kustom,Sunn,JBL,Yorkville,EV, etc. They all have their "sound" I'd put Peavey closer to the top than the bottom for sure.
The sp4 is a great utility box that can be used for just about anything. Has room to grow (bi-amp / tri-amp with sub etc.) and is easy to work on should you have growing pains as in a blown driver.