Which Basket comes standard on Lowrider 18??

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
TheButtryBoy

Which Basket comes standard on Lowrider 18??

Post by TheButtryBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 am

Hey guys. I have searched and searched and i am a bit confused. Here's what is going on in my world today.

Last week, I bought a pair of used sub boxes (EV T18s). I was told that they were loaded with new Lowrider 18's. I had heard the subs at a few shows and was impressed. I even used them at my own shows a few times. At all shows, they were center-clustered at the front of the stage. (There is a point in me mentioning this). Anyways, a deal was offered me and I took it. I gave $200 for the working pair.

We took them out this past weekend, and for the first time, due to the orientation of the stage vs the room, we decided to do one box per side under 2x15 top boxes. I began to play reference music through the system to tune and was walking back and forth between the left and right sides. One side was definitely much stronger from the subs. I turned the amp channel driving the other side up to compensate for i did not have time to diagnose. We went on through the night just fine.

Yesterday, we decide to investigate what the issue may be. So, here i go pulling speakers. Much to my surprise, I find that the weaker sub isn't quite what i expected to find. What I found is a 1808-8 HPS BW basket on a LowRider 15 magnet structure. I thought.... "What in the blue....!??!"

I can't believe it even works, even though incorrectly. I was blown away. So I call the guy I bought them off of. (No, he isn't a crook or anything. He is a trusted friend and bandmate of several years). He was as surprised as i was. He knew the history of the boxes at least as far back as when the Lowriders were ordered for them. His cousin who had previously owned the boxes had HIM order the replacement drivers and the cousin also consulted with him on installation. He says he remembers clearly that they were Lowrider 18's.

I decide to open the other cab. Same basket is in that one, but has a LowRider 18 magnet.

To help me solve this delima, I need to know a few things. Do the Lowrider drivers use the BlackWidow baskets?!?

i thought they were a totally different speaker altogether. Upon reading just now I see that they claim to me an "improved" or "modified" version of a BW as far as cone and frame and such. I can't find ANYthing on a 1808-8 HPS BW. I have found SPS, but not HPS.

Also, I have an older 1801-8 that I have been meaning to "recone". Can I use THAT magnet on an 1808 basket? I don't like having the LowRider 15 magnet on an 18' basket. Obviously, it'll work, but not like it should.

My buddy left these in a venue the entire month of janurary as we were a house band for the month and we are thinking somebody did some swapping in our abscence, but why on earth would anybody do what has been done?

Regardless, I'd like to get the correct components. I generally tend to center-cluster whenever possible, and though we didn't notice the difference before, it is known that unlike subs don't couple well.

Any help would be appreciated on the matter.

Roger Crimm

Re: Which Basket comes standard on Lowrider 18??

Post by Roger Crimm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:37 pm

An 1808-8 HPS is a Low Rider, and the 15" and 18" magnets are the same except for the label.

You cannot use an 1801 magnet on a Low Rider basket. The Low Rider magnet structure is unique to the Low Rider loudspeaker.
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

TheButtryBoy

Post by TheButtryBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks, Roger. I was hoping you would chime in.

If they are the same, two things come to Mind though:

1: Why the difference in output?

2: it looks as though there is a plate between the magnet and basket that have small corregations that seem to me would allow for each "spoke" of the frame/basket to sit in. Is this incorrect? They don't quite line up. I will need to look close at each again.

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:03 pm

TheButtryBoy wrote:Thanks, Roger. I was hoping you would chime in.

If they are the same, two things come to Mind though:

1: Why the difference in output?

2: it looks as though there is a plate between the magnet and basket that have small corregations that seem to me would allow for each "spoke" of the frame/basket to sit in. Is this incorrect? They don't quite line up. I will need to look close at each again.

1. No idea without testing it, but the magnets are the same.

2. That is part of the additional cooling. I believe they also act as a "spacer", in part to provide clearance for the longer relative excursion of the Low Rider compared to a regular BW.
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

TheButtryBoy

Post by TheButtryBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Yes. I did read that part about the extra excursion. Thanks for clearing that up.

It appears that I have am even better driver in the LowRiders, no?

That being said, I am curious as to who else has made the switch from the old standard (at least in this Peavey fan's mind), Black Widows.