keep killing sp4 BW and sp118FH low riders

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Peaveypro

Re: keep killing sp4 BW and sp118FH low riders

Post by Peaveypro » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Your driving your Subs into Over-excursion, and Overheating them, the pic of that voice coil shows considerable over heating, damage, you need MORE SUBS, BIGGER SUBS, The SP 118 is a small club sub. I would save my cash, and Buy 1 or Two Versarray 118s or 218s...youll find that ground pounding sub your trying to get. You need the Processing of the VSX 26 to protect your drivers, limiting the output to within desing parameters...
Amplifiers can be driven to output quadruple the rated power thru distortion, driving the mixer out put into THE RED, This often releases the smoke, tears the leads, damages the woofer coil or Spider because its being asked to do way more then its design factor.

Over excursion, is the driving of the Speakers past its mechanical limits, were the Magnet has a Magnetic gap, the Cone and Spider are operating inside this gap, if a signal of too much Power or Low Frequency information it can push the spider up and out of the gap, this also makes HEAT, Heat is a speakers worst enemy, Over driving, Distorting and seeing the DDT Light on constantly is Bad mmmkay... it makes heat and will burn the wiring of the speakers Voicecoil,(as in the picture discoloration, dark colors mean that has been HOTTT.

Peaveys subs like to see a LOW PASS Filter of no lower then 40 hz, this saves power and helps prevent the mechanical over excusion.

I would sell my SP series and get some Versarray, or QW Subs, 2 218 cabs instead of 118s...youll have that dancefloor thumping like you want.

Replacing the speakers with another brand will be wasting money, the Parameters of those cabinets work best with Peavey original speakers.
Don Lanier
Pearl Pro Audio
Facebook.com/PearlProAudio