PR15's cut out during a show

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
70mlbu

PR15's cut out during a show

Post by 70mlbu » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:00 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to explain this... I connect a PR15 from channel A on an IPR2 2000 amp. From that PR15 I connect a second PR15. The second PR15 cuts out occasionally. When I turn the 1/4" input the speaker is, normally, good for the rest of the gig. I brought both the speaker, and cable, into a music shop where the speaker and cable were connected and worked until I moved the 1/4" input a little. The speaker cut out. The cable checked out good so the guys suggested that I had a "cold solder" in the speaker and suggested that I heat the solders joints up. These PR15s are at least 5 years old with new drivers and woofers installed last week. I started having this problem about a month ago. The cable is only a few months old. Does heating the solder joints sound like a possible fix? Any other suggestions?

Josjor

Re: PR15's cut out during a show

Post by Josjor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:19 am

A broken solder joint is a very possible fix. It could also be that the jack is simply worn out and needs replacing.

One tip on pretty much all speakers, particularly those with 1/4" connectors, is to run the speaker cable through a handle on the speaker before plugging it in. On the PR's the handle on the top/back of the speaker is perfect for this. Routing your cable like this helps to take stress off the connector, the cable, and the plug, adding to the life of all the components involved.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro