SP4's

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Misteron

SP4's

Post by Misteron » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi all,

First post to this forum so please forgive any errors.

In need of a little information. I bought 2 SP4's from a US supplier, they were shipped over to the UK and first inspection they looked fine, sounded ok when tested at lower sound levels but when used on their first gig one of the cabinets failed. At first I thought the crossover had bitten the dust, so contacted the supplier and he suggested speaking with Peavey customer support, did this and Peavey told me that the problem was internal freight damage and that I should put a claim into the carrier. It turned out to be a broken horn, the cabinet had been dropped and the compression driver had snapped of at the neck. The supplier put in a claim to the carrier and then refused to replace the SP4 or it's internal components and said that I would have to return the speaker for a refund with the carrier charges at my cost, not very helpful and I wont be buying from the US any time soon!!
What I want to do is price up the cost of repairing the SP4 and so need the part number for the horn. the other components "look" ok but until the horn and compression driver are reinstalled I can't test the cabinet. The last time I tried to use the faulty cabinet there was no sound from the horn (it was lying in the bottom of the cabinet), the centre driver sounded distorted and the bottom driver was silent but I was told that maybe the compression driver had knocked the magnets on the other drivers out of alignment, if that's so can they be realigned?

Thanks for any assistance.

Ron.

colliedogboy1

Re: SP4's

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Sympathy here for your situation. Looks like they left you "in a pickle". I would have thought your supplier should ship you a new cabinet and work it out themselves with the carrier company. I do not, however, know the answer to your question about re-alignment. One of the pros should see your post soon and offer some knowledgeable assistance. Good luck with your cabinet.

netrecce

Re: SP4's

Post by netrecce » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:26 am

Sympathy for you here as well. But, perhaps all is not lost.

I have SP4G's which are similar (but not quite the same) as your SP4's. After removing the front grill, all horns and speakers are easily removed from the front. Starting at the top, the Horn can be unbolted from the cabinet and pulled straight out. The compression driver is screwed onto to back of the horn and comes along with it when the horn is removed (unless the horn is broken and it fell off). The middle and lower 15" speakers can also be unbolted from the front and pulled straight out. Once removed, all components can be inspected and tested outside the cabinet. (This is really no more work than an ordinary speaker or compression driver replacement.) Any replacement parts you may need can be ordered directly from Peavey Parts.

With the drivers out, you can also look at the inside of the cabinet and visually inspect the jnternal crossover for damage. Hopefully, the broken parts didn't slam around too much. Reassembly will be obvious and pretty simple.

Good luck!
:mrgreen: