Peavey Project 2

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
MrDaves

Peavey Project 2

Post by MrDaves » Tue May 16, 2017 3:17 am

Hi,

I'm going to buy 2 Project 2 stacks and I'm a bit wondering about how to power them.
I found an amplifier that kicks 2x1200W on 4 Ohms and I wonder if it's enough to take each stacks on parralel....

What do you think about it ?

Thank you,
Pascal

dedmeet

Re: Peavey Project 2

Post by dedmeet » Tue May 16, 2017 9:36 am

I think those are huge, heavy, three decade old speakers that need to be triamped and processed correctly to get a sound that is half as a good and half as loud as a current generation system.

Save your $, get a good set of current powered cabinets.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Yeah, maybe if someone were giving them to you, you might want to give them a go, but I certainly wouldn't pay good money and then have to deal with the weight and space requirements those Project Two cabinets entail.

BenPrice

Post by BenPrice » Sun May 28, 2017 11:48 am

Mr. Daves - I currently own, and use, a set of Peavey Project 2 speakers. I play in a classic country band here in South Texas. Our band has multiple PA systems, but for larger venues or outdoor events, we take the Peavey Project 2 system. Your question was about how to power them. We use a tri-amped system (3 separate stereo power amps) running through a Nady 3-way stereo crossover. These speakers don't require a lot of power. We use a Peavey IPR 1600 300 watt amp for the MF1-X and another 300 watt amp for the MB-2 cabinets. We use a Peavey IPR2 5000 (which is overkill) for the FH-1 cabinets. Although we don't normally need subs (country band), but we do have a set of subs and a separate amp for those. Before I finish, I want to say that the sound from the Peavey Project 2 system is absolutely beautiful. It is well distributed and perhaps most importantly, the vocals are crisp and clear everywhere in the house.

You will hear that they are heavy - which they are. Our powered system, which is subs and pole mounted mains is lighter, but not that big of a deal.

You will need rack mount amps, a crossover, and perhaps an EQ - Our system is all Peavey and the total cost (eBay) will be in the $1,500 and up range. While it is possible to run the system with 2 amps, I would recommend getting a small amp for the MF1-X and going full tri-amp. Remember that you will need a 3-way crossover. A powered system, and one with a digital mixer (so you can walk around with the iPad) is definitely sexier.

You will hear that they are old school - yes they are.

You will hear that they don't sound as good as the newer powered systems. I own both. If it wasn't for the sheer size and transport issues, I would always take the Peavey Project 2. By the way, you can take the FH-1 and MF1-X (and leave the MB-2 at home). Peavey produced a system like this called the Peavey SP1 MKIII. In reality, a lot of jobs just don't need the volume that the Peavey Project 2 system puts out.

You will hear that they have a low resell value - which they do. However, you can purchase a complete set for less than $1,000.

I have posted some videos of the Peavey Project 2 system on YouTube - taking them apart and looking inside. My user ID is VE3CDA.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you.

Ben Price
San Antonio

djgriffin

Post by djgriffin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:00 am

i have a peavey project2 speaker system with a peavey cross-over powered by my carver amp they are in excellent condition i will demo them on request these speakers sound excellent i would sell my system for $1000 local pick-up only thanks

Craigie

Post by Craigie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:23 am

I've got a full set of these (2 x tops mids lows). They are in good shape. Anybody who's near enough to Calgary let me know if you're interested in these.