QW4's and Qw218's

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Lou

QW4's and Qw218's

Post by Lou » Wed May 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello all,

I realize that all the post are from a few years ago. But I have a curiosity question that makes me wonder.
I have Qw4's and QW218's 10 4's and 4 - 218's
I have read many of the post and responses. thanks for everyones input.
But I get back to, why wouldn't i want to run Full range to the Qw4's ?
Just recently added a Vsx26. the soft ware only has it for bi amed tops. I could bi amp the tops, but wouldn't I lose the thump of the bottom 15's in the cabinet?
Playing out door gigs we would set up 8 Qw4's and 4 Qw218's. it is so awesome and clean and clear, that I have never had a gig that we actually turned them up all the way. The Vsx26 should give more punch that I am looking for with a live band.
Playing a Bar gig, we would use 2 Qw4's and 2- 218's

So I am at a delima. bi amp or not to bi amp. Am I gonna make the Q4's limited to what I could get out of the 2's? I get it will save your back from the lift. but getting those tweeters up above the crowd, well the sound is awesome to say the least.

Amps I run. 4080's to each pair of Qw4's
Yamaha 7000 bridged to each subs.

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Lou

Josjor

Re: QW4's and Qw218's

Post by Josjor » Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 am

Im a little confused about what exactly you are asking. Are you asking about bi-amping the QW4's or are you asking about why you should set a crossover point between the QW218's and the QW4's?

If it's the latter (having the QW4's do 100hz and up instead of full-range), it's because it's a bad idea to have different sized drivers or even different cabinet designs reproduce the same low end frequencies. Because of the different responses of the drivers, in this case the 18" in the QW218's and the 15" in the QW4's, you will end up with some weird couplings and cancellations that will alter the sound in odd ways. In addition, you'll also get less output from the QW4's. Not significantly less, but less.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Lou

Post by Lou » Thu May 25, 2017 6:45 am

Thanks Josjor,

The latter was my curiosity point. the,
it's because it's a bad idea to have different sized drivers or even different cabinet designs reproduce the same low end frequencies.
Well that pretty much answered the question.

So I am making new cables. LOL
I guess i was just thinking I would get more thump by not by bi amping the tops. but in reality you are right.

Reading other post, the amps they seemed to be using was 500 -700 watts amps for the Tweeters. What is the Recommended size amp to Run the tweeters with?

Appreciate the input.

Thanks
Lou

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Thu May 25, 2017 9:05 am

For the highs you want to come close to matching the peak output of the horn driver.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro