Sp2 full range issues

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
andrewkutan

Sp2 full range issues

Post by andrewkutan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:33 am

Hi Members,

I'm having an issue with one of my sp2's.

Sometimes my enclosure doesn't come on (full range) till I use a speakon plug to connect and fiddle with the bi amp socket and then it comes on.

Do I need to replace my bi amp speakon socket?

Thanks.

Dookie

Re: Sp2 full range issues

Post by Dookie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Sp2"G" , Sp2"X" or? Easier to give advice if we know what model you have.
The Bi-amp in on my SP2x speakers bypasses the passive crossover and 1/4 inch inputs when used. This would still include the Horn protection circuit though. If this was "bad" then it may "stick" and not let the 1/4 inch inputs work.

I'd get some Deoxit 5 and give it a spray. Then work the speakon plug in and out , turning as normal to see if it will free up what may be sticking. Worth a try.

Doug

Like this. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... id=200-040

andrewkutan

Post by andrewkutan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:45 am

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response.

Mine is sp2 (http://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/ima ... 00x500.jpg)

I worked out that I have a faulty bi amp socket.

I always run on full range and the one side goes off randomly till I get another speakon plug and work the bi amp socket and then it comes on again.

Is there a way to remove the faulty bi amp socket and bypass bi amp so I can run on full range only?

Thanks

Andrew.

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:05 pm

andrewkutan wrote:Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response.

Mine is sp2 (http://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/ima ... 00x500.jpg)

I worked out that I have a faulty bi amp socket.

I always run on full range and the one side goes off randomly till I get another speakon plug and work the bi amp socket and then it comes on again.

Is there a way to remove the faulty bi amp socket and bypass bi amp so I can run on full range only?

Thanks

Andrew.
I'd try DeOxit or another brand of contact cleaner first. Then if that doesn't work and you have a break in your work load you could give peavey a call and maybe send it in for repair? You or the next person down the road who owns them may want to use the bi-amp jack. The bi-amp speakon jack works by having 2 pins for both positive and negative that touch so the full range feed to the crossover works when nothing is plugged in to its socket. When a speakon plug is put in these pins no longer touch each other so the circuit is broken and the signal no longer reaches the passive crossover. Sometimes "gunk" builds up in this input socket if its not used for long periods of time. If a speakon plug is then put in then this "gunk" gets between the pins so no contact can be made when the speakon plug is pulled out. If no contact cleaner is available at a big box store should you have a air compressor maybe a gentle blast or to from the outside in and around it from the inside might be enough to clean the pins. You may be able to see them if you pull the crossover plate off. I've used 70 percent rubbing alcohol before in a pinch. I used compressed air to make sure it was dried well before use.

Doug

Another idea would be to purchase a replacement crossover from peavey.

andrewkutan

Post by andrewkutan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:48 am

Thanks Dookie,

I think I'll have both nl4 speakon sockets replaced. That should sold the problem. Thanks.