Peavey pr15 wanting to add a sub

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Kdj

Peavey pr15 wanting to add a sub

Post by Kdj » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:04 pm

This is my first post so hello to all involved in the forum Please can someone help me out?
New to all this i have a garage and love my music so bought a pair of peavey pr15 speakers a w audio 1000 amp and a mixer.i have the speakers set up and they sound great..now I'm wanting to add a sub to the system how do I go about doing this
Can I buy a sub and then link that to the speakers through the 1/4 Jack plugs on the rear of the speakers??

colliedogboy1

Re: Peavey pr15 wanting to add a sub

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Assuming that you want to keep your setup in stereo mode, both sides of your amp are already occupied--one PR15 each. You will need a powered sub to add to your system. You could add another amp and a passive sub, but that would involve matching amp power to speaker power-handling capability, etc. Simpler to buy a powered sub which has its own matched amp included.
Most mixers have XLR outputs on the Left and Right Mains AND 1/4" outputs also. Whichever outputs you are not using, connect one of them (left or right) to the input of the powered sub. The sub will only produce low frequencies up to the cutoff point of its crossover (about 150 Hz).
That's the simple way to do it. To do it the best and proper way, you need an outboard crossover unit, such as the Peavey PV-23XO. Set it up for stereo and send one "low" output to the subwoofer and send both "High" outputs to the Left and Right inputs of the Audio 1000 amp. You can balance the amount of subwoofer volume to the mains by using the blue "Gain" knobs on the front of the 23XO.