PV215 flush mount for stand

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
stratpurist

PV215 flush mount for stand

Post by stratpurist » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:56 am

We just replaced our busted PA speakers with NOS PV215s. These do not have an adapter for mounting on speaker stands. Has anyone tried to install flush mount adapters on these brutes? thanks.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210

Josjor

Re: PV215 flush mount for stand

Post by Josjor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:18 pm

stratpurist wrote:We just replaced our busted PA speakers with NOS PV215s. These do not have an adapter for mounting on speaker stands. Has anyone tried to install flush mount adapters on these brutes? thanks.
They're not really designed to go on stands. Most stands become unstable with that much weight up that high. You can place them up on some subs, though that often presents its own problems with frequency overlap.

If you decide to add tophats (speaker stand cups) to these, look inside first to make sure there isn't any bracing in the way. I would also reinforce the area by gluing and screwing an extra layer of plywood inside the cabinet. It's also a good idea to find the center of gravity and place the cup there, rather than simply in the center of the cabinet. To find the CG, get a broom stick and sit the speaker on top of the broomstick with the broomstick being parallel to the front of the cabinet. Roll the cabinet forward or aft until the speaker balances front-to-back and mark that spot. Then measure the center left-to-right and put the pole adapter there.

FWIW....I hate 215/horn cabinets. They just kind of suck for versatility, hauling, getting to the right height, playing with subs, etc. Folks are much, much, much better served getting a single 15/horn combo and subs. 215/horn cabinets are almost as evil as calling a mixer "10 channel" when it's really only a 7 channel (PV10BT/AT and others.)

IMHO, of course. :lol:
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 pm

I would not to it for safety sake but...... Remember to put something like a thread spool down on the floor and set the speaker on it to find the "Real Center" of gravity. Move the speaker around until it balances on this. It could be quite away from the measured left/right to front/back. It would be a shame to install a cup and find out the speaker leans to the left or leans way ahead..... ;-)

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:33 pm

leave on floor if you raise it you'll lose bass frequencies. which you compensate buy adding more low freq on eq. using more power to get the same sound.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:12 am

Stryker57 wrote:leave on floor if you raise it you'll lose bass frequencies. which you compensate buy adding more low freq on eq. using more power to get the same sound.
But leaving them on the floor presents it's own problems, namely that the horns are making the eyes bleed of anyone right in front of the speakers (i.e. the dance floor) while anyone behind them just hears muffled mids and lows with no highs.

Did I mention that 215 cabinets suck? :lol:
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro