How to set up my new speakers. Help!

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Gtrzn2006

How to set up my new speakers. Help!

Post by Gtrzn2006 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 pm

So, I just purchased 2 peavey 115d's and a pvxp 15. Obviously they are all powered speakers. I just need to know how to connect them all together correctly. The sub only has 1 input. How do I connect my mixer to the sub then to the two powered speakers? I don't want to mess up anything. Any help please? Thanks

colliedogboy1

Re: How to set up my new speakers. Help!

Post by colliedogboy1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:14 pm

You say you bought a pvxp 15 but you refer to it as a "sub". Is it a pvxp 15 or a pvxp sub? If it is the pvxp sub, then you would run the signal from your mixer into the sub and use its two High-Pass outputs to send the mids/highs to your 115Ds. Set the crossover point on the sub as recommended for the 115Ds, probably around 120 Hz.

Gtrzn2006

Post by Gtrzn2006 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:38 am

Yes it is a pvxp sub sorry about that. But where I'm baffled is that the sub only has one input. My mixer has the two outputs. That's where I'm confused. Any ideas? Sorry, I am such a newbie. LOL

Gtrzn2006

Post by Gtrzn2006 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:42 am

Will I have to send it just out the left side from my mixer? Which will be mono. I think? And will I have to set each channel pan turned to the left? I don't know! :? Thank you

Gtrzn2006

Post by Gtrzn2006 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:44 am

I have a behringer 1202fx analog mixer.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 am

Gtrzn2006 wrote:Will I have to send it just out the left side from my mixer? Which will be mono. I think? And will I have to set each channel pan turned to the left? I don't know! :? Thank you
That'll work. If you want to be stereo all the way, you'd have to get another sub and use one sub/top combo for Left, one sub/top combo for right.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:47 pm

You won't have to pan the channels to the left, just don't pan them to the right or your signal will be subtracted from the left output. When the pan knobs are set to the center position (12:00) full signal goes equally to both the left and right outputs. As you pan in either direction, signal is subtracted from the side you pan away from at a constant variable. Panning to the right to the 3:00 position, for instance, subtracts about half the signal from the left output while still delivering the full signal to the right. It's a way to set up a proper "stereo image" of your stage if you are running a stereo sound system for a live band or chorus. If your keyboard is positioned hard left on the stage (from the sound man's point of view), then you can pan the keys hard left and they will be heard only from the left speaker. Electric guitar is hard right on the stage? Pan him hard right on the mixer.
That being said, there are very few situations that can benefit from a sound system set up in stereo. Just use one output or the other, left or right, and run a mono system. If you happen to be recording the audio from a show, connect your recorder to the output you are not using and you will have a very good clone of the sound the live audience is hearing. Using good headphones,listen to your recording device as it records and you can use the pan controls to adjust the amount of a channel's signal that goes to the recording by panning in more or less signal to the recording output. Another way to do this is to use an empty auxiliary send output and mix in each channel to that auxiliary until it sounds right in your headphones. Just thought I'd throw in all that extra stuff for free. :) Use your left output and go mono.