PVXp-12 Issues

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
redhairdude77

PVXp-12 Issues

Post by redhairdude77 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:34 am

Good afternoon...

Have a question around my last-gen PVXp-12 (powered) enclosures. I've been noticing that these units are exhibiting momentary "drop outs" under higher-volume use, even with NO CLIP lights - they quite literally just mute for less than a second, then keep going. I'm have a small rental set of these boxes crossed with a DBX-DriveRack that is only giving them ~160Hz and up (the rest handled by subs) - so they're not seeing a ton of low-end stress at all.

Additionally, 2 of the 4 of these units will (at times) refuse to power up - the power LED blinks for just a moment, and then goes out. Initial inspection of the power module didn't reveal anything obvious (loose connector, burnt boards, etc). However - I did notice that when they do fire up, one corner of the power module (next to the switching FETs) shows VERY high temperatures around a set of resistors...IR thermometer is showing ~240F +.

Are there any known issues with the last generation of power modules in these units (power supply, etc)? I see the updated version have slightly different power specs, which makes me thing the power unit was changed.

If there is a difference, what options do I have for fixing / upgrading these units?

Thehitmanuk

Re: PVXp-12 Issues

Post by Thehitmanuk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:20 am

ive been having very similar issues with mine ive had them tested and soak tested and they find nothing then the issue occurs ad lib
its very odd but annoying as like you say it happens when there working but without any real pressure on them.
would also be happy to hear any advice
thanks
karl

Craigie

Post by Craigie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:18 am

There's one of these speakers on clearance locally (unless somebody snagged it) for just over $200 CAD. I was thinking of picking it up....

But now that I see these issues, I'm thinking better of it.

HEY PEAVEY: What's the issue???

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:52 am

I've only had one customer that had this issue. It would only happen when he would clip the system. We sent in the amplifier section and, while I'm not sure what Peavey did, he hasn't had the problem since.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro