Adding Subs

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Dufcapers

Adding Subs

Post by Dufcapers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:15 am

Hello all;
I currently use an inuke NU3000 amp, powering 2 PV115's off one channel, and a pair of monitors off the other channel. I'd like to add subs to this, and am trying to discern the best way to go about it.

2 PV118's are currently what I'm thinking and buying a NU1000 to power the monitors. Running the subs off one channel of the NU3000, and the PV115 (mains) off the other channel.

Would that work? Is there a better (read: cheaper) option? I'm looking at a used pair of PV118's at around $300 for the pair, and maybe $100 for the amp. So $400 total investment to add some sub output to my system.

(what the subs would be broadcasting is probably just kick drum and a 5 string bass guitar - no keyboards in the band; hell we don't even have a bass vocalist. Though the baritone sax might get down there from time to time)

Thank you in advance for your help!
-Duff

netrecce

Re: Adding Subs

Post by netrecce » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:20 pm

I think the PV 118 Sub's should be a good match for your PV 115 Tops... provided a decent x-over is used. And remember the Sub's are only 20 lbs heavier than the tops, so if your thinking of a using them in a stack make sure you don't get them too tall and sacrifice stability. (Personally, I'd keep subs low and at center stage.)

Can't say anything about your choice of amps.

Good luck.

Dufcapers

Post by Dufcapers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:21 am

Yeah, low and center is what I was thinking.

Concerning x-over though, it was my understanding that the PV118's had a built in crossover? Is that only true of powered subs?

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:15 am

According to the manual, the passive PV118 will cross itself out at 150 hz, but it does not have a "High pass" output for top speakers. Its paralleled jack will pass on a "full range" signal to a top speaker, but you don't want your top speaker reproducing anything less than about 120 hz. So, you really do need a crossover to separate the sub and top speaker. Maybe a Peavey PV23XO.