Old SP2s with a Crown Power Amp Question

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
hsm

Old SP2s with a Crown Power Amp Question

Post by hsm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:11 am

Hi everyone,

I have had these old Peavey SP2s forever, and just recently acquired a power amp for them. The SP2s have just enough different inputs on the back that I want to make sure I get this right and not screw anything up. Any recommendations on the best way to hook these up?

Also, any ideas on the best way to send a single output from my mixer to both channels on the poweramp?

For reference, these are the particulart SP2s I have: https://assets.peavey.com/literature/ma ... _specs.pdf

Here is my power amp, a Crown Micro Tech 1200: https://3e7777c294b9bcaa5486-bc95634e60 ... iginal.pdf

Thank you so much.

colliedogboy1

Re: Old SP2s with a Crown Power Amp Question

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Looks like you will need a couple of 14 gauge speaker cables (not shielded "guitar" cables) which have a banana plug connector on the end that plugs into your MicroTech. On the other end, it should have a NL2 Speakon connector to connect to the speaker. Don't connect to the "Bi-amp" input. Connect to a "Full-Range" input. You probably want to use one speaker cable out of each side of the amp. That will give you 295 watts of power into each speaker. Those speakers can handle up to about 750 watts each, but you don't have to have that much. Use what you have, at least to start out. To get one mixer output to both sides of the amp, set the "Stereo" switch on the rear of the amp to "Parallel/Mono" mode. Whatever signal you plug into channel 1 will also go to channel 2. Be sure to keep the positive/negative wire connections the same on both speaker cables so your speakers don't get out of phase with each other. Usually, the negative wire goes to the side of the banana plug with a small tab on the edge of it. That same wire should go to the negative terminal on the speakon connector.

hsm

Re: Old SP2s with a Crown Power Amp Question

Post by hsm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Thank you so much! That is a huge help. It makes good sense and cleared up a couple of lingering confusions on my part. The suggested wiring schemes on the back of the Crown were throwing me off a bit.

Again, thank you!