SP 4G - missing low mid/bass punch

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
samrej

SP 4G - missing low mid/bass punch

Post by samrej » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi all. I'm a part-time wedding/party DJ and have a gig coming up this weekend. At my last gig, one of my old woofer baskets in my SP4G's finally popped. The solder actually came off one of the connections. Had the wire re-soldered, and reinstalled the basket and woofer. Set up to test my rig last weekend and I'm not getting the expected bass response out of the speaker in question (especially compared to the other speaker). Thinking it was probably a bad basket, I ordered a replacement and installed tonight. Speaker still sounds the same. I went through a bunch of troubleshooting steps. Swapped amps and cables. Tested all the woofers and drivers with my multimeter and AFAIK all are reading correctly (at least no dead shorts). I also swapped the woofer I thought was the issue into the other cabinet and it sounded great (and the original "bad" cabinet still sounded bad with the woofer from the "good" cab).

Really needing some help with what else to troubleshoot here as I have a gig coming up this Saturday. I didn't think it was the internal crossover since I have sound both in full range and bi-amp, but now I'm questioning that since the woofer swap did nothing. Would it be worthwhile to have someone look at the crossover or should I just order a new one? Any other tests I can try? Pretty pressed for time unfortunately. Thanks for your advice from a long time lurker.

Josjor

Re: SP 4G - missing low mid/bass punch

Post by Josjor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:50 am

Sounds to me like you have the leads reversed on the speaker, causing the two woofers to cancel each other out at crossover frequencies.

Swap the leads to the bottom speaker and do another test.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

samrej

Post by samrej » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:06 am

From what I know of Peavey, blue is negative and either white or yellow is the positive, which is how i have them wired at the speaker. I did try some rewiring, but I honestly can't remember if I hit every combination (it was late and I was tired). I guess it is possible something is mis-wired at the crossover end, but there's no markings for positive/negative and I don't have a wiring diagram. I emailed Peavey customer service and asked for it.

Pulled the crossover this morning and it looks like the capacitor on the left side in this pic might be fried? Certainly looks like some burn marks. Could that be causing the issue?

https://imgur.com/a/gVB6w

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:38 pm

samrej wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:06 am
From what I know of Peavey, blue is negative and either white or yellow is the positive, which is how i have them wired at the speaker. I did try some rewiring, but I honestly can't remember if I hit every combination (it was late and I was tired). I guess it is possible something is mis-wired at the crossover end, but there's no markings for positive/negative and I don't have a wiring diagram. I emailed Peavey customer service and asked for it.

Pulled the crossover this morning and it looks like the capacitor on the left side in this pic might be fried? Certainly looks like some burn marks. Could that be causing the issue?

https://imgur.com/a/gVB6w
That looks like the Horn protection circuit. If the horn didn't work then I'd look at that first. Take a look under this. Is there a capacitor under it? Did something under it burn up?
I would unhook both 15's on the known bad box. Hook up JUST the TOP woofer bolted in with just a few screws to test and play music through the speaker at a low level. Make sure this Mid/Low frequency section is working. Try the other woofer on this section as well and confirm both woofers are ok and work on this mid 15 location. Now try again on the bottom section ONLY with the MID 15 not hooked up. (make sure the Mid 15's wires are not touching each other....)

Its possible the crossover is bad and that is what your hearing now. This would be a good way to check this out if one section of the crossover is bad. Its "possible" that when the speaker failed it shorted and maybe damaged the crossover.

Doug

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:38 pm

I would check the Air Gap for dirt or foam.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:14 pm

What did you find out about the problem?

Mezzododgy

Post by Mezzododgy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 pm

any update on this? I have a similar issue with my Pro 15p