scorpion vs scorpion plus?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
guitbox

scorpion vs scorpion plus?

Post by guitbox » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Heres the deal. Had some regular scorps in the 90's and remember liking them a lot. A few years ago i decided to revisit them and bought the only one i could find locally, but it was a plus. Absolutely hated it. Sound was sorta as tho i had plugged my tube amp thru a FR system.

So recently i thought maybe it was because the plus sounds very different, because even tho i realize my tastes have changed some since then, i can't imagine ever having liked a sound like what that plus had. So my question is, is it me or do the regular scorps and the plus models sound a lot different? Theres a regular one for sale locally and i want to try it but i don't want to find the same sound as that plus and have to sell it. Took me 2 years to sell that plus on CL !

thunda

Re: scorpion vs scorpion plus?

Post by thunda » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:42 pm

The plus models have a larger/heavier magnet than the original models. This will affect the movement of the cone. Probably accounts for the difference in tone you heard. And the speaker might not have been broken in yet too.
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

guitbox

Post by guitbox » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks, and no disrespect but I can speculate too on what might be the reason. But i really just want to hear from anyone who's used both and hear what difference they heard, whether it was a big difference like i recall and if in the same way i heard it. (plus sounding almost like a FR and regular like a guitar speaker)

thunda

Post by thunda » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:41 pm

I have standard, plus and ultra models. The plus and ultra models sound a bit tighter than the standards.
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

guitbox

Post by guitbox » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks. So that sounds like they are basically the same, tho i had an ultra and it was worlds different the regular scorpion, that much i'm sure of. It was in a triumph 60 i had years ago. That speaker reacted very oddly to volume dynamics. I put it in a marshall at one point and I could turn my guitar down and it wouldn't clean up the way other speakers do. Same thing when in the triumph. Put the stock celestion back in the marshall and then i could use my volume as normal. Strange speaker. Fine on 10, but i don't leave my guitar on 10 all the time.