IPR 3000 weird noise ?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
Stryker57

Re: IPR 3000 weird noise ?

Post by Stryker57 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:20 am

I'll have to agree with Josjor , I thought Neo was saying that too.

but anyway, I own one. and no noise. when you get yours back you should be very happy with it.

:mrgreen:
if it still makes the noise you can sell it to Neolmem1 cause he thinks thats how they are supposed to sound. :D

tralfaz

Post by tralfaz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:32 am

:)
Last edited by tralfaz on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

noelmem1

Post by noelmem1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:02 am

.....most likely its a defective unregulated switching mode power supply damaged by shipping vibration......

no noise... no problem ,
good design ...good price.

@Stryker57 ... yeah , at 65W peak power, I can tolerate an 8v pk-pk ripple from my tube amp's halfwave-doubler PS.

noelmem1
Last edited by noelmem1 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

tralfaz

Post by tralfaz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 am

Last edited by tralfaz on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:48 am

noelmem1 wrote:noise is inherent to the switching mode power supply if it is cheaply designed. same goes to a class D amplifier if it is poorly designed. This is what im implying.

it may not be a defective amp circuit inside , most likely its a defective unregulated switching mode power supply damaged by shipping vibration probably or a "walking wounded" part damaged by ESD. Anything can happen.

noelmem1
Noise is more inherent in cheap switching supplies that are portable and outboard (like in laptops). Computer towers may have better switching supplies.

And yes there are indeed Class D amplifier's designs that are not as good as others. That is a given and we invite you the customers to make comparisons.

However comparisons of noise floors need to be done with the amps set to the same voltage gain. Just as listening test should also be conducted at identical voltage gains. Differences can be heard. However if the A/B's are not Apples to Apples gain wise, then all I can say is that Helen Keller could notice a 10 dB difference in gain. Yes that is probably true, because her ears did not work but it was established by her teacher Anne Sullivan, that Helen could feel vibrations.

Regarding the noise issue in that IPR 3000, according to JD, it was probably the difference in clock rates as I reported. In another product that is still in development, we recently discovered a difference in 100 pico capacitors from 2 different manufacturers. Both worked, but one caused a noise problem.

PLSR80

Post by PLSR80 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:34 am

Yeah it was wasn't it. I was skimming through some of these after I posted a question about one of my 1600's dying. I must admit i didn't fully read it word for word till after that rant. I thought about not posting it but thought it might be useful to someone browsing. My fault completely.

Wow. If your reply somehow relates to my original posts I am missing it. Let me just say one... last... time... The amp makes the noise - thru the speaker - with or without any input or input device or cable of any kind connected to the amp (except the speaker and AC of course). NO external variable changes the noise. I came here to rule out an error on my part and to see if anyone had a similar issue. All info points to the conclusion that it is a defective amp. The unit has been sent back. A new one is on it's way. That is all. Peace.[/quote]

tralfaz

Post by tralfaz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Last edited by tralfaz on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Glad to hear all could be well for you.
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

Gio2017

Post by Gio2017 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:14 am

Yes guys, I have an IPR 3000 and I have the same weird noise coming out of my speakers, it’s like a humm noise but is not totally low frequency, it’s more like mid frequency noice and it’s audible, the amp works perfect both channels but I believe this is not normal for a Peavey amp, maybe a capacitor going bad or something, I can’t tell what it is. Help please

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:28 pm

Each channel has its own clock generator. And due to tolerance differences in the clocks, at idle the amp is exhibiting the difference in frequency between the two channel clocks. No harm, no international incidences. Each channel will pass audio and the noise will NOT be apparent when passing audio.

Gio2017

Post by Gio2017 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:51 am

Well actually let me explain this a little be more detailed, when a take out the audio inputs and both channels in 0 volume there is no noise at all, it’s completely cero noise, but if I turned up the volume there is the noise, it’s not super loud but it’s there, and you’re right with the music there is no noise either, so I guess this is not something I need to worry about, anyways I’ve noticed that when I play audio for a couple of minutes the noice comes near cero and then there is a low ssssssssss noise coming out of the tweeters which is normal at high gain, but you really need to come next to the speaker to hear This, thanks anyways for the post, was very helpful to me