Peavey 8.5c dead

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
delgriffith

Re: Peavey 8.5c dead

Post by delgriffith » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:47 pm

Oops I think maybe you have my old amp! I had an 8.5c that first blew one channel and I got it back working by replacing one of the big ceramic resistors and a metal power transistor that were obviously toasted. It lasted another year until I had it out in the elements and demanding a lot from it when it blew both channels. I tried to repair it again and I could see issues with the power transistors and big ceramic resistors again but it was beyond my expertise. I think I either gave it away or sold it for basically scrap copper pricing.

Nice amp for many years. My limited knowledge of older electronics tells me that older electrolytic capacitors dry out and cause issues. Not sure if that amp could be subject to that. Sorry if I'm no help, I was just remembering my 8.5c that died a little before your first post on this thread :D

-Delgriffith

Stevie B Disco

Post by Stevie B Disco » Sun May 28, 2017 10:19 am

Hi
Need a working output board for my PV 8.5C . Can anybody oblige or offer a repair to my old board .Regards Steve

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sun May 28, 2017 11:19 am

Any competent repair shop should be able to repair it. My shop handled many similar amps over the years - we are retired now. But there is nothing unusual about them electronically.

Stevie B Disco

Post by Stevie B Disco » Sun May 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Enzo wrote:Any competent repair shop should be able to repair it. My shop handled many similar amps over the years - we are retired now. But there is nothing unusual about them electronically.
Hi Enzo
The board is in good condition but somebody as been there before me.The two right hand driver transistors have been removed and other resistors very close to them also.Small burn mark at the bottom of the board also where four others have been removed.My question is should one channel still work as all missing components seem to be on the RH circuit Regards Steve

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sun May 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Yes, the two channels are independent, unless the bad one is blowing breakers or something.

Stevie B Disco

Post by Stevie B Disco » Mon May 29, 2017 5:42 am

Enzo wrote:Yes, the two channels are independent, unless the bad one is blowing breakers or something.
Thanks Enzo Tried it but both channels not working but it is not blowing the breakers which is good. So there must be damage to both channels on the board so more investigation is required