Peavey pv 900 with active speakers

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
Shaunlake

Peavey pv 900 with active speakers

Post by Shaunlake » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi, I'm looking to add a set of subs to my PA system. I'm using a Peavey PV 14 mixer with Proel 600 active speakers. I'd like to use a PV900 amp to power 2 Peavey messenger pro sub MK II subwoofers.

To make use of the amps built in crossover I'm thinking I can run the left and right outputs from the mixing desk into the amp and then the left and right channels from the amp into the subs. Then I connect the thru high out jacks to the active speakers.

Am I right in thinking that the thru high out jacks would send a unpowered signal to the active speakers? Would this setup work and would it be a good way to expand my system? Would the tops get a stereo or mono signal set up this way?

I'm totally new to PA systems and am trying to work out what to do through google searches but an unable to find a comprehensive answer.

Any advice is welcome, cheers.

colliedogboy1

Re: Peavey pv 900 with active speakers

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:02 pm

I think you're right--you can run the mixer "left out" into channel 1 of the PV900, engage its Xover button and the lows will go to that channel (1) of the PV900 while you will need to patch the "High Out" signal to your top speaker. Do the same with your mixer's "right out", sending it to channel 2 of the PV900, engage its Xover.....etc. That should give you a bi-amped stereo system. Bear in mind that most live sound PA systems really serve the audience better when run in a mono setup. But it's your system. If it's stereo you want, ---- :)

Shaunlake

Post by Shaunlake » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks for the help. I kind of assumed it should be in stereo without looking into it.

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:15 pm

make sure you engage the low cut and the X-over function.

Shaunlake

Post by Shaunlake » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:50 pm

Cheers Marty, will do.