ipr 3000 ipr2 7500 sp118fh and sp4

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
ryns99

ipr 3000 ipr2 7500 sp118fh and sp4

Post by ryns99 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:27 am

Ok so short story long, i have two sp4's running off a ipr 3000, and two sp118fh running off a ipr2 7500... recently discovered running the irp3000 full range was giving low end distortion from the sp4s, so i turned on the low pass filter... i used to run the sp118FH off a Behringer ep2500 in bridged mono 4 ohm. I could purchase a second ipr2 7500, but what im thinking is running the 7500 for the sp4's and returning the ep2500 for the subs.. any advice or input appreciated

the ipr27500 runs the sp118s at 1250 each, and the ep2500 runs them at 1200 so im wondering what the difference would be considering the high damping factor with the ipr2 7500

colliedogboy1

Re: ipr 3000 ipr2 7500 sp118fh and sp4

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:15 pm

The SP4s are designed to have no need of a separate subwoofer, so you could just run the SP4s with the IPR7500 and leave off the SP118s. It seems that it's kinda tricky, anyway, using a subwoofer in tandem with the SP4s--phase cancellation or something. Maybe one of the pros will speak to this.

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:41 pm

with the sp4 the bottom speaker produces around 100hz down and the top 15"speaker produces whatever the horn crossover is ( probally ) 1k hz and down

so when you hit the low pass you basicly turned off the bottom 15" speaker.

I am guessing your using them as a DJ or to play pre recorded music.

when running a sub and a sp4 type speaker you probally have some freq phase cancelations when( since) both speakers are producing the same freq.
( which causes you to raise those freq on the eq, and could be causing the distortion)
if you have a true crossover maybe try letting the subs have 80hz down and the sp4s have 80 hzs and up at least then the bottom speaker can produce something rather then just sit there and absorb sound from the top 15"

and i see the sp118 is a folded horn so with the sp4 there maybe some low end freq timing if you are stacking them ( which looks cool so you probally are) try sliding the sp4 from front to back as music plays and see how that effects the sound.
and due to the folded horn you'll probally notice the bass more around 15 feet or so in front of the sp118fh then directly in front.

if your mixing a live band through them , if you have a seperate aux channel just put the kicks and bass in the subs ( with proper crossover/lowpass) and the rest of the band run full range into the sp4s as normal (including kicks and bass for their high freq you just wont need near as much in the tops)

id say you have plenty of power, remember a good clean system sounds quieter then a equal dB distorted system. IMO peavey speakers are very efficient and when you start worrying about more power your probally are needing a bigger rig or higher end setup for the area you are filling with sound. for example i run my sp15M off a ipr 3000 and i can hear it clearly over a 103+ dB drummer and it has plenty of headroom to be louder if i wish.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:45 pm

Yeah, the sad thing with the SP4 is if you cross over at around 100hz, that bottom woofer is left with almost nothing to reproduce. You just as well saw the cabinet off and have SP2's.

Sorry, but 2-15 cabs are my least favorite design...ever. Well, except maybe Bose. :D Too heavy, can't put it on a stand so unless you've got them on a stage or subs, they aren't tall enough and if you put them with subs and cross things over, you just as well disconnect the bottom 15.

They look impressive though. :lol:

OK, as to your original questions: If you're running heavy, short speaker cables you won't really notice any difference with the damping factor. You also won't notice a difference in output between 1200 and 1250 watts. I'm not going to take the time to do the math, but the difference will be something like one-tenth of a dB.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

ryns99

Post by ryns99 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Stryker57 wrote:with the sp4 the bottom speaker produces around 100hz down and the top 15"speaker produces whatever the horn crossover is ( probally ) 1k hz and down

so when you hit the low pass you basicly turned off the bottom 15" speaker.

I am guessing your using them as a DJ or to play pre recorded music.

when running a sub and a sp4 type speaker you probally have some freq phase cancelations when( since) both speakers are producing the same freq.
( which causes you to raise those freq on the eq, and could be causing the distortion)
if you have a true crossover maybe try letting the subs have 80hz down and the sp4s have 80 hzs and up at least then the bottom speaker can produce something rather then just sit there and absorb sound from the top 15"

and i see the sp118 is a folded horn so with the sp4 there maybe some low end freq timing if you are stacking them ( which looks cool so you probally are) try sliding the sp4 from front to back as music plays and see how that effects the sound.
and due to the folded horn you'll probally notice the bass more around 15 feet or so in front of the sp118fh then directly in front.

if your mixing a live band through them , if you have a seperate aux channel just put the kicks and bass in the subs ( with proper crossover/lowpass) and the rest of the band run full range into the sp4s as normal (including kicks and bass for their high freq you just wont need near as much in the tops)

id say you have plenty of power, remember a good clean system sounds quieter then a equal dB distorted system. IMO peavey speakers are very efficient and when you start worrying about more power your probally are needing a bigger rig or higher end setup for the area you are filling with sound. for example i run my sp15M off a ipr 3000 and i can hear it clearly over a 103+ dB drummer and it has plenty of headroom to be louder if i wish.

ryns99

Post by ryns99 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:48 pm

colliedogboy1 wrote:The SP4s are designed to have no need of a separate subwoofer, so you could just run the SP4s with the IPR7500 and leave off the SP118s. It seems that it's kinda tricky, anyway, using a subwoofer in tandem with the SP4s--phase cancellation or something. Maybe one of the pros will speak to this.
i would like to agree, but with comparing these to sp5s with the same setup i have to say the overall sound was better with the sp4's... plus the short throw of the sp4's 15" woofers and the larger 18" subs dont seem to cross paths

ryns99

Post by ryns99 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Josjor wrote:Yeah, the sad thing with the SP4 is if you cross over at around 100hz, that bottom woofer is left with almost nothing to reproduce. You just as well saw the cabinet off and have SP2's.

Sorry, but 2-15 cabs are my least favorite design...ever. Well, except maybe Bose. :D Too heavy, can't put it on a stand so unless you've got them on a stage or subs, they aren't tall enough and if you put them with subs and cross things over, you just as well disconnect the bottom 15.

They look impressive though. :lol:

OK, as to your original questions: If you're running heavy, short speaker cables you won't really notice any difference with the damping factor. You also won't notice a difference in output between 1200 and 1250 watts. I'm not going to take the time to do the math, but the difference will be something like one-tenth of a dB.
im not using them as mobile equip... they pretty much live at my night club

ryns99

Post by ryns99 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:59 pm

I thank everyone for their reply, im in the market to upgrade and im not a fan of change so im looking for an easy upgrade, if the opinion is to go with maybe 4 sp5s and a sp218 thats not out of the question, but i do enjoy the sp118fh, as ive rattled the screws out of them a few times... :)

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:15 pm

before you buy 4 sp5s and 2 sp218s compare the price to 2 qw-2s and 2 qw 218s , its the next step up and it might be cheaper the 1st round and give you a better base starting point. i have never used the qw line but those that do on here speak very well of them.

as far as the folded horns i understand what you mean on sound my 1st real pa used 2 FH1s back in the 80's. a bar kept complaining we was too loud , so we showed them loud and had glasses vibrating off the tables.

but use what you are comfortable with, a properly set up SP system set up inside will rock the house. good luck and any questions or curious ideas to try dont be afraid to ask or share..... someone here might of tried it before and someone else might not of thought of it and want to.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:36 am

ryns99 wrote:I thank everyone for their reply, im in the market to upgrade and im not a fan of change so im looking for an easy upgrade, if the opinion is to go with maybe 4 sp5s and a sp218 thats not out of the question, but i do enjoy the sp118fh, as ive rattled the screws out of them a few times... :)
Where are you located? I happen to have the QW rig for sale that Stryker talks about. Price listed is very negotiable and it's all in very excellent condition. If you need more pics or anything, let me know. I'll have the rig unpacked and working later today for a four day festival. Click the link for details:

https://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 93#p306693
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

ryns99

Post by ryns99 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:43 am

Josjor wrote:
ryns99 wrote:I thank everyone for their reply, im in the market to upgrade and im not a fan of change so im looking for an easy upgrade, if the opinion is to go with maybe 4 sp5s and a sp218 thats not out of the question, but i do enjoy the sp118fh, as ive rattled the screws out of them a few times... :)
Where are you located? I happen to have the QW rig for sale that Stryker talks about. Price listed is very negotiable and it's all in very excellent condition. If you need more pics or anything, let me know. I'll have the rig unpacked and working later today for a four day festival. Click the link for details:

https://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 93#p306693
im in far northern Ontario canada.. i once added my 2 pv118's to my system at the club i work at an people said they couldn't breathe..Ive also tried to add 2 RCF 18" subs to my system , but there frequency response was so specific it wasn't really worth talking about considering the wide frequency response of the sp118fh

ryns99

Post by ryns99 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:11 am

Stryker57 wrote:before you buy 4 sp5s and 2 sp218s compare the price to 2 qw-2s and 2 qw 218s , its the next step up and it might be cheaper the 1st round and give you a better base starting point. i have never used the qw line but those that do on here speak very well of them.

as far as the folded horns i understand what you mean on sound my 1st real pa used 2 FH1s back in the 80's. a bar kept complaining we was too loud , so we showed them loud and had glasses vibrating off the tables.

but use what you are comfortable with, a properly set up SP system set up inside will rock the house. good luck and any questions or curious ideas to try dont be afraid to ask or share..... someone here might of tried it before and someone else might not of thought of it and want to.
I think the main point with me thinking of running my sp4's through the ipr2 7500 was the huge difference i noticed with running my pv218s from 530/w per channel to 700 per.. it was like night and day... but i have read the sp4bx can take a lot of abuse at full program power so going from 840/per to close to 2000w/per seems like it would be night and day.....