cs800x running 4 8 ohm cabinets?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
dwilken

cs800x running 4 8 ohm cabinets?

Post by dwilken » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:50 pm

i've done all the reading and i'm just getting confused. i have 4, 8 ohm cabinets. can i come from the A side banana clip outputs to cabinet 1 then connect to # 2 cabinet? then from B side banana clip output to number speaker # 3, then connect it to #4.???? i am coming out of my heath & allen board using L & R main outs, thru an equalizer and then into the High Z inputs of A & B and then out the banana clips. i have ddt enabled and set in stereo. i know this knocks me to 4 ohm, but can i run this way without figuring out how to crossover. i don't think i have the necessary equipment to do that. -thanks for any help offered.

thunda

Re: cs800x running 4 8 ohm cabinets?

Post by thunda » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:31 pm

yes, you can run two 8 ohm cabinets off each channel of the amp with no problem
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:21 pm

Yes, dwilken, you have it figured just right. As thunda said, no problem.

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:06 am

The CS800 "X" is a 2 ohm stable amp with a 600 watt rms output rating at this 2 ohm load. It can power up to 4 - 8 ohm speakers per channel. You could , if needed , run all 4 on one channel. This would divide the 600 watts between all 4 so each speaker would only be getting 150 watts.
2-8 ohm speakers per channel will give plenty of headroom in the amp and it will run cooler as well.

Doug

dwilken

Post by dwilken » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:05 pm

thanks so much for the info. i'm the guitarist filling in for the soundman. a little lost. another question though, would it be better if i bridged????

thunda

Post by thunda » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:43 pm

no. bridged will limit the number of speakers you can use and may fry them as well...
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:58 pm

What do you have for speakers? Are subwoofers part of your setup?
Doug

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:37 am

When using Bridge Mode the minimum speaker impedance becomes 4 ohms, then 2 ohms is too low.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----

rockfish

Post by rockfish » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:27 am

I am running a CS800X with four 8 ohm cabinets (two 250 watt Yorkville 15's a 300 watt Carvin and a 100 watt CGM) for monitors in my band. Using 1/4" speaker cables, I'm running a cable out to each speaker cab. With all of the cabs being well within the ohm and power handling capacity of the amp (at least to my knowledge)....what would cause the amp to overheat and shut down ??? Last night, I had channel A's DDT light coming on........then channel A stopped working. Fan is working, but the unit is getting hot. I wound up adding another fan, which cooled the amp down enough to finish out the night.

Frank
Abusing:

Way too much musical gear.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Could be just dust. I have seen permanent installs that hadn't been cleaned for years and had dust and lint caked on the fan blades and fan grill so thick it seemed a wonder that air could even get through. No telling how much was on the inside of the amps. That is not as likely, I imagine, with a portable or touring system that gets moved around quite a bit and exposed to fresh air and a little shaking and bumping around in the moving process. Couldn't hurt to look, though.

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:43 pm

rockfish wrote:I am running a CS800X with four 8 ohm cabinets (two 250 watt Yorkville 15's a 300 watt Carvin and a 100 watt CGM) for monitors in my band. Using 1/4" speaker cables, I'm running a cable out to each speaker cab. With all of the cabs being well within the ohm and power handling capacity of the amp (at least to my knowledge)....what would cause the amp to overheat and shut down ??? Last night, I had channel A's DDT light coming on........then channel A stopped working. Fan is working, but the unit is getting hot. I wound up adding another fan, which cooled the amp down enough to finish out the night.

Frank
Frank. To clear things up. 2 speakers on channel A, 2 on channel B? Or the 4 on just A? 1. Was channel A's DDT coming on with a high input level or at a much lower than normal input? 2. Did you make sure all the 1/4 inch plugs were plugged in all the way? DDT will come on for many reasons. Too much input. The load below 2 ohms. A damaged speaker ( a shorted / blown driver/crossover) or a shorted/damaged speaker cable. A 1/4 inch cable not plugged in all the way correctly will be seen as a short. An 800x will try to deliver its rated output even into a short for as long as it can. Over heat and shut down. A short of some sort will cause the DDT to come on much sooner with a lower input level. Also a speaker is rated at an 8 ohm nominal level. (Average) Some will have much lower than that rating at certain frequencies. If your 4 were combined they could of had a much lower than a 2 ohm load average.

I'd look for damaged speaker cables, speakers themselves damaged and look for a full impedance plots of your speakers to see if when totaled they are not to low.

Get back to us as to your setup and what you have found.

Doug

rockfish

Post by rockfish » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:44 pm

I was running 2 speaker cabs in each channel. To the best of my knowledge, during sound check........all speakers were working. Later in the night, it's possible that maybe one of the monitors (maybe the one used by the drummer) may have quit. It's also possible we have a bad speaker cable. I called my tech guy that I have fix my electronics.....and he said the same thing. Check cables. He said the ohm load from the cabinets was well within the handling capacity of this amp.
Abusing:

Way too much musical gear.