DPC 750's fan question

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
chainsawcurtis

DPC 750's fan question

Post by chainsawcurtis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:10 pm

I have an old DPC 750 that I use in my studio to power a set of stereo speakers at extremely moderate levels. It rearely get used to power moniitors for rehearsals or anything heavy duty.

The fan makes a horrible noise. It's been cleaned out. I'm assuming it's because it's old. My question is - Can I just disable the fan and run a small (quiet) fan into the rack it sits in with out worrying about it over heating?

Enzo

Re: DPC 750's fan question

Post by Enzo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 pm

First, blow/vacuum all teh loose lint and dust out of the thing. Look at the stationary hub of the fan. Is there a round label on it with the specs or model number printed on it? Peel it back and see the end of the motor shaft. Put a drop of real light oil on that. see if it doesn;t quiet it down.

If not, I;'d replace the fan. The fan needs to be there to draw air over the heat sinks, just blowing in the rack doesn't do that.

chainsawcurtis

Post by chainsawcurtis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will check the fan again.

I talked to Peavey tech support a long time ago and their replacement cost for a new fan was $70 plus shipping. LOL! It's one of the reasons I'm wondering about just putting a fan on the amp. Like I say, the amp gets no serious hard use. It may not even get hot enough need to be cooled.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 am

Fans are fans, they come in standard sizes and ratings. You can buy a fan from Mouser or someplace. Check the size. 6x6" 4x4" 80x80mm 60x60mm? Some are deeper than others, so within your size, check the depth. Now the voltage. Some are 120vAC others run on DC, 12v, 24v, whatever.