Channel A cutting in and out on PV1200...help!!

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
mossj

Channel A cutting in and out on PV1200...help!!

Post by mossj » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:38 pm

hi

I seem to have a problem with PV1200 amp that I am using. For some reason Channel A keeps cutting in an out. I've replaced wires, had the amp "checked" and was told its ok. It tends to happen after I have been running the amp for a little while and playing at a decent sound level. There aren't any leds flashing to say its been pushed to hard. I've changed over speakers but its always the same side, which leads me to think its channel A. I wondered if there was a way to stress test the amp, or maybe something I may have missed.....its driving me crazy!! Especially when I'm half way through a set and it starts cutting in and out.

Please help!!

Enzo

Re: Channel A cutting in and out on PV1200...help!!

Post by Enzo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 pm

Clean any stereo/mono switch or bridging switch.

So channel A cuts out, reach around back and swap input cables between A and B. Now A source material is playing out B channel. Change nothing else. Does A speakers still cut out, or has the problem moved to B?

mossj

Post by mossj » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Ive brought switch cleaner and cleaned all the input abd output cables...ive also tried changing the input cables and replaced the leads.... the mixer im using us different but had the problem before which is why it has to be the mixer... could it be a poor solder joint or loose wire inside the amp. Its not consistent either as it will play fine for a little while then cut out.. then it coupd be fine for 10mins and cut out again.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:00 pm

OK, what mixer?

Does it have insert jacks? If those get dirty, cutouts happen.

mossj

Post by mossj » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:55 am

The jack sockets look ok, replaced every cable too/from the amp.....even open the case and gave it a good air blow. Doesnt look like there were any frayed or exposed wires and every connector looked secure..... im running out of ideas

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:54 am

"Look" OK? If there is an insert in that channel master, spray cleaner in it and poke a plug in and out a few times.

When it cuts out, do the VU meter lights go out?