Serious issue with Peavey 1500

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
Mike H.

Serious issue with Peavey 1500

Post by Mike H. » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:03 am

Alright, when I first turned it on, got no sound. I heard a light hissing sound that the speakers were on, but no sound.

Now, I pressed the DDT button in the rear and made sure it was in Stereo mode. Turned the amp back on, Speakers almost popped and the cones on the speakers pulled back and stayed back till I turned it off.

NOW....

The ******* lights in my house would also dim when I turned it back on. So I have no idea if I ****** with a switch in the rear, or got banged around during shipping. I'm scared as **** to turn it back on now.

Enzo

Re: Serious issue with Peavey 1500

Post by Enzo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:37 am

OK, first DO NOT CONNECT SPEAKERS OR OTHER LOADS until the amp is stable. Your cones went one way and stayed because the amp is producing DC voltage. it may be blown, or it may be missing a main power supply.

Power off, measure resistance between the black and red posts on the output. Does either or both channels show low resistance? That would mean shorted protective triacs.

It dims your lights because it is drawing huge currents.

And just a suggestion, but...language. You and me, we can talk face to face any way you like, but we are guests here on a family friendly Peavey board.

Mike H.

Post by Mike H. » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:37 am

Enzo, it's at the point which I'm literally too nervous to even power it back on. I may just try to plug it in, in the garage because there's a separate circuit breaker in the panel for that outlet.

I've also noticed there is a Blue, Red, and black ground wire that is hooked from channel A to channel B. I took a photo but I'm unsure how to post a photo on here.

When I first plugged it in, I didn't really have much of an issue, but the DDT lights were on solid with no music. Once I've pressed the DDT button, that's when things went down hill.

By the way, apologies for the language, kind of a Brooklyn thing lol.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:20 am

You don't have to plug it in and power it up to measure resistance across the speaker posts, so...

It used to work, so we can assume the wiring is in place correctly?

You know, everything works until it doesn't. Yours went down while you were using it. It may or may not have something to do with what you did. Normally pushing those buttons will not stress the amp.

Mike H.

Post by Mike H. » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:51 am

The way it went down is just confusing me. Every time I would turn it back on, the issue would get worse. I'll get a meter soon to measure. It's just why would it pull such a load from the power outlet all of a sudden?

Also, I have a photo of the back of the unit of wires I've never seen before on an amp. Is there a way to post photo's here?

Mike H.

Post by Mike H. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Enzo wrote:You don't have to plug it in and power it up to measure resistance across the speaker posts, so...

It used to work, so we can assume the wiring is in place correctly?

You know, everything works until it doesn't. Yours went down while you were using it. It may or may not have something to do with what you did. Normally pushing those buttons will not stress the amp.

I didn't have a chance yet to check the resistance on the out put posts yet. I plugged it in by itself and turned the power on. DDT lights stay on, fan turns on, and my house lights still dim. Now I'm thinking of bringing it to a dealer to get it checked out.

Would shipping damage cause it?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Imagine you were running and sprained an ankle. And you kept running. With each step the sprain would get worse. If you amp failed, continuing to power it up allows the damage to grow.

Look up "light bulb limiter", you can make one simply and use it in this sort of repair.