Distorted sound when recording via USB to Win 10

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Lufromcalab

Distorted sound when recording via USB to Win 10

Post by Lufromcalab » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:23 pm

Hey All,

I'm hoping that someone can help.

Our church just upgraded their sound room PC and we're used to recording the sermons via USB from our Peavey 32FX into Audacity.

I've updated Audacity to the latest version and we updated the firmware and drivers on the Peavey.

Now, when we record, either into Audacity or voice recorder, the sound is high pitched, sped up, choppy and garbled.

I've looked at several different forums for Audacity, but considering that it's also happening in Voice Recorder, it seems as though it's either a Win 10 issue, or Peavey issue.

Playback from the PC, through the mixer is fine (via USB also) so it's only audio going through the board into the PC, via USB.

Has anyone out there run into this issue and, if so, have you found a fix?

Thank you,

Lu

jim h

Re: Distorted sound when recording via USB to Win 10

Post by jim h » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:14 pm

My guess is, the mixer is now plugged into a USB 3.0 port on the new computer.

1. See if the computer has a USB 2.0 port, use it.

2. If no USB 2.0 ports are available, see if USB 3.0 can be disabled in the BIOS.

Please come back and let us know if either suggestion solves your problem.

Lufromcalab

Post by Lufromcalab » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:12 pm

Unfortunately, that didn't do the trick. I'm running to the PC analog now, as a work around, but will keep looking at why the sound is so messed up.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

jim h

Post by jim h » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:27 am

So, I'm assuming it worked with your previous PC, right? Is that PC or another one available for you to try it with? We need to try and isolate the problem to the new PC. It sounds like you've practically done that already, but it would be nice to know it still works with another computer.

I know we've tested the FX2 mixer here with Win10, but I can't remember testing the older FX mixer. I don't think we even have one here to try. Let me look around.

Lufromcalab

Post by Lufromcalab » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:12 pm

I'll fire up the older PC and see if it works with the mixer with the updated firmware on the mixer.

Daniel1969

Post by Daniel1969 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:51 am

I have the same problem. I've upgraded our Pc in our church and I have the same symptoms. I reconnected the old windows XP laptop and it works fine. We are using mixcraft7. I also have tried mixcraft 6 and Audacity with the same results.

Daniel1969

Post by Daniel1969 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:01 am

I have a second pc with windows 10 that we upgraded from windows 7 that also works fine.

drivond

Re: Distorted sound when recording via USB to Win 10,Win 7

Post by drivond » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:22 pm

I am having the same problem connecting usb to pc. I get alot of noise. The usb thumb drive works fine I am using a imac 2013 with bootcamp running through windows 7 Audacity 2.12. using a mic or wireless it does not matter. I am using an FX 24 1.31 beta 3

Aging

Post by Aging » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:27 am

yes, just another 32 fx user with distorted and garbled sound on playback over usb. The kernel is ok at 1.3 but it still won't work after update.
Very frustrating I know. I am on windows 10. Some have suggested usb3 and usb 2 mismatch. I have tried both black and blue usb ports but no difference. In any case I thought usb protocol was backwards compatible?

for now I will try to get analog recording but I need to get loads of new wires! and I don't know what the RCA out L and R is for either!

Its very frustrating when a newbie buys some gear based on usb ease - but it doesn't work. Anyone cracked it yet?

jim h

Post by jim h » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:48 am

Is this a first generation FX 32 or a second generation FX2 32?

Did you try another USB cable?

Did you try different software? Try Audacity.

Do you have another computer to try?

Aging

Post by Aging » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 pm

Its a 32FX-E and I bought it about 6 months ago. The problem is still there and it is the same in Audacity. The sound is sped up and garbled like drunken chipmunks. I checked recording rates and bit depths etc but it all seems ok but the problem remains. Its annoying when my new expensive mixer can't do what its supposed to and yet my little focusrite works just fine! :shock:

jim h

Post by jim h » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm afraid I still don't know which model you have...I've never heard of a 32FX-E...

The original FX mixers were designed in 2004 or so. In 2013, we released the FX2, upgraded model. With improvements in the MP3 player/recorder and DSP power. Now obviously a mixer designed in 2004 is going to have a lot different USB performance than one designed in 2013. That's why I'm trying to determine which model you have. One easy way to tell, the FX mixers have 60mm faders while the FX2 mixer has 100mm faders. The FX2 has a back-lit logo too...so which one do you have?

Have you tried recording to the jump drive? How does it sound when played back on the computer? What about playing it back through the mixer?

Aging

Post by Aging » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 pm

Well it has 60mm faders so it must be the older model. I don't understand the jump drive. Do you mean the uSB thumb drive? It can play back a pre recorded one fine. Can you record directly on to the thumb drive gadget through the standard uSB port as well?
I can record to the computer using any software and it records fine but then when I try to play back through the uSB connection on the mixer, just by pushing play, the sound is fast and garbled. Even the software seems to run faster as the playback bar moves across the track list at a much greater speed than that recorded.
I am new to all this so I apologise for not knowing much! and there are a lot of buttons and switches to learn!
Regards

Aging

Post by Aging » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:35 pm

Aging

Post by Aging » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:46 am

So once again I tried updating the kernel update. It already said it was on v 1.33 but I tried again. It would not do anything until I disconnected the USB cable to the computer (the square one) then it loaded. It went through the loader and the kernel update, and said ok and restarted and then asked again to load it! It looped three times and then I turned the unit off. After that I tried loading the firmware update and it seemed to work. I then switched off and then on again and inserted a usb thumb drive with mp3s on to try to play them. The mixer said "no USB detected".

I am back to square one.