PV10 FX to Monitor

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Dezmoduo

PV10 FX to Monitor

Post by Dezmoduo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi Peavey Peeps,
I'm supplying my tiny but effective PA for our Oldies gig this weekend. (The regular guy is out of town).
I use a PV10 into and IPR 1600 and some 12" Yamaha speakers on sticks. I also use 4 of the old Peavey Mini Monitors powered by the other side of the IPR. (The 6 piece band can't believe how loud the monitors actually get. I love 'em)

Anyway, to the point. The frontman/vocalist, really, really likes to hear some delay in the monitors.

I'm looking at taking the FX out and sending it into an open channel and bleed it into the monitor mix. The Mon send is pre fader so I won't be doubling the effects in the mains right?

What problems am I likely to run into if I try this?

Josjor

Re: PV10 FX to Monitor

Post by Josjor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:56 am

No problems at all. It just won't work is all. :D

The FX OUT isn't an output of the onboard effects on the mixer. It's a "dry" signal designed to be taken to an external effects processor. Now, if you were using an external effects processor then an arrangement similar to what you're proposing would work.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

dedmeet

Post by dedmeet » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:11 am

Dezmoduo wrote:Hi Peavey Peeps,
Anyway, to the point. The frontman/vocalist, really, really likes to hear some delay in the monitors.
Just say NO.
What problems am I likely to run into if I try this?
A vocalist who cannot hit a note all night.

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:32 pm

or a vocalist that feels more comfortable and does better .

Dezmoduo

Post by Dezmoduo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:48 pm

I guess that covers the full range of answers.
The FX out info should have been obvious to me but wistful thinking got in the way.

I have a Lexicon MX200 I can slip into my rack case with the IPR 1600. I could take that FX out and blend some delay and a spit of reverb and return it, but return it WHERE? To a channel with a little monitor send?

Does using the FX out preclude the built-in FX to the mains?

I know I'm asking a lot of this simple mixer. It fits in an old Anvil attache case and kicks small gig ass. Love the PV and I don't have to take out a 16 channel Mackie for 3 vocals and a sax.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Are you running stereo or mono? If you're running mono (or, if you're running stereo but not panning the vocals) you could use the second L/R out to feed the external reverb and then yes, back into a channel that's fed to the monitor only.

I'm not sure if the Effects Out kills the internal effects. Take a look at the manual or do like the rest of us and hope that Jim H chimes in. :D
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Dezmoduo

Post by Dezmoduo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:30 pm

OK,
Now my living room looks a lot like a patch cord explosion.
The MX200 is patched with the FX send (mono) and returning in stereo to the last two channels (7/8-9/10). Reverb in one and delay in the other.

The monitor sends on both channels introduce either effect to the monitors.
The faders introduce either effect to the mains.
Input gain for both is pretty low. I'm hoping to keep it clean. The Lexicon unit isn't showing much input signal, no clip for sure but the returns are doing a fine job.

So, I wound up with 2 effects on 4 independent sends. The MX200 with 2 processors does sound better than the on-board effects of the PV10, plus I can have reverb and delay together, with full parameter adjustment for either.

Its easy enough that I can duplicate it tomorrow night without requiring any Jamerson. Like ALL last minute patches, I'll be amazed if it actually works in real time. I'm optimistic though. Otherwise, all the wires come out and we play stock, like nature intended.

I muted the on-board FX with the push button. The FX Out didn't mess with the on-board levels at all but the redundant delays were getting messy.

I usually pan everything to one side and when we take a kickdrum mic, I pan that opposite and feed it into a powered sub. Not tomorrow though.

I will report back. Thank you one and all for the input.

Dez
NYC

Dezmoduo

Post by Dezmoduo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:48 pm

HA!
I plugged it all in and it didn't work. I used a 4 wire TRS mini patch snake just trying to keep things neat.
I obviously didn't say a proper prayer to the patron saint of PA systems. My bad.

I took out the TRS wires and went back to using TS on all three. At first it still didn't work, but, for some reason, the electron gods smiled upon the meek cover band and we had effects.

It sounded great, everyone was hap, hap, happy.

If possible I found more to love in the PV10. The band members kept looking at the little board that could, and commenting about the big clear sound.

Case Closed.

WooHoo

Dez
NYC