too few stereo inputs

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
lewiss

too few stereo inputs

Post by lewiss » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Just took over running sound at our church. We have an older Peavey sound board (RQ-2326) that only has 2x stereo inputs. How do we hook-up more than two stereo units considering from what I've read (self-taught) that I should not bridge the stereo cables into one?
We have two laptops (one runs PPT and the other records service) a cd player and sometimes a IPod.

tnx for any advise/help,

Josjor

Re: too few stereo inputs

Post by Josjor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:20 am

You can couple the L/R outputs of computers or anything else and nothing bad will happen at all, assuming you're using the correct cables or interfaces.
Depending on what your source is, I use these two gadgets all the time:
http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-377-ltiblox.aspx

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-376-tdiblox.aspx

Essentially, they are direct boxes that convert standard consumer audio outputs into lo-z XLR outputs. They work well. You can also use 3.5mm stereo male to 1/4" mono male cables or L/R RCA cables to 1/4" mono male cables.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

dedmeet

Post by dedmeet » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:18 pm

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:35 pm

I, too, use the LTIBLOX adapters. They work great!

lewiss

Post by lewiss » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'll gather this info and pass it on to our music minister. Do have one problem this may not solve.
One of our laptops does not have the 3.5 jack input. Currently it running through a BEHRINGER U-CONTROL UCA202 but this doesn't solve problem of two few stereo inputs on the mixer. Would it 'safe' to run out of the Behringer into a LTIBlox?
Again tnx everyone,

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:52 pm

The thing is, you don't need a "stereo input" on the mixer in order to connect a stereo track from a computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone, or whatever. Once you connect the 1/8" plug of the LTIBLOX into your computer headphone output, it becomes an XLR source which you plug into any of the 24 XLR inputs on your mixer. Use a short XLR mic cable, perhaps a 2-foot cable, to connect to the output side of the LTIBLOX and plug it into a mixer channel. Now, you will hear both sides of the track (left and right) through one channel. It will not be in stereo, but you will hear all of the music on your track.
By the way, the RQ2326 mixer is one of the best Peavey ever made, in my opinion. Hang onto it as long as you can.

lewiss

Post by lewiss » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Tnx for the response
Will set up per instructions

Dano0369

Post by Dano0369 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Hell-o All; an STI direct box from peavey would be great. not a lot of dealers stocked them. I think their all gone now but ive heard they may make a come back. They were rack mountable. I use about 6 of them in production, spec'ed at two for every install. Check em out :arrow:
Dano0369

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Dano0369 wrote:Hell-o All; an STI direct box from peavey would be great. not a lot of dealers stocked them. I think their all gone now but ive heard they may make a come back. They were rack mountable. I use about 6 of them in production, spec'ed at two for every install. Check em out :arrow:
.....and as a dealer and sound provider, I can tell you that I'm still pretty upset about Peavey discontinuing them. All the DI's in that line were GREAT boxes.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

lewiss

Post by lewiss » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:58 pm

How about using a Behringer Ultra-DI to connect CD player and/or laptops to mic input on mixer?
Cost factor--

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Long as it has the proper connectors for your CD player and/or laptop. All CD players I have seen connect with L and R RCA connectors. The TDIBLOX would convert that to an XLR output for you. And, for the laptop, ipod, iphone, etc., the LTIBLOX converts to XLR for you. One or two of each would cost you a bit of money but would pay benefits for years and years to come. BTW, have you run into the "pc hum" problem yet? Sometimes a laptop will cause a hum in the pa system if it's plugged into its 120-volt power adapter. As far as I know, the only remedy to that is to run the pc on battery.

lewiss

Post by lewiss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Haven't noticed if a PC causing problem or not but did have a bad hum through speakers caused by 1/4' output plugs to speakers.
Explanation- All our equipment is in the back of church except for power amp in front closet. We have a 16 input snake (12x XLR and 4x 1/4" running to front for speakers and mics. When I run out of the mixer using the 1/4" masters get a bad hum so I bought 1/4" to XLR converters
(Audio2000's C06001P2 1 Ft 1/4" TRS to XLR Female Cable (2 Pack)) and run out of the XLR Masters and things work fine.
When I have time will unplug PC and see if that's what causing the hum. Never thought of that.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Make sure you aren't using a ¼" speaker cable to send signal to or from the stage. I have an older 50' snake I used to use with my XRD680 box mixer. I used its two speaker cable returns to run from the 680 to the speakers at stageside. It also had two ¼" signal cable that I could use to send signal to a larger amp stageside when I used the system outside. I once tried sending signal through one of the speaker cables and got a bigtime hum. That was early on in my P A experience. :oops: The difference between the speaker cables and the signal cables is obvious, so you probably already knew about that. Just thought I would mention it in passing. Let us know how you make out with it.