Recording with Peavey Mixers

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Bobt3

Re: Recording with Peavey Mixers

Post by Bobt3 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm trying to record with a PV14 (non USB) to my laptop. I have Audacity on the laptop and it is working fine. I have a cord going from the headphone jack on the laptop to the Tape In on the PV and it works fine. I have a cord going from the Main Out (1/4" jacks) to the Mic In on the laptop and it's working fine. So everything is good and I recorded my first track. Now I want to go put some vocals on that top of that track. So I put on my headphones, engage Tape to CTRL/HP, so now I can hear the first track in the headphones, but I can't hear my microphone in the headphones. The only way I can hear both at the same time is to engage Tape to MIX, but then my first track is getting re-recorded onto the second track. I need to be able to hear both the first track and the mix without the first track getting re-recorded. Is that possible with this board?

T60player2

Post by T60player2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:46 am

SemperFiSound wrote:Duane,
When I first setup my recording "snake" from the mixer to the 2488, I recognized that XLR->1/4" spacing issue on the 2488 and fortunately I have a VERY well stocked patch cable gig bag. I built a temp snake onthe spot and then later bought some dedicate4d cabling for that recording snake.

Cheers,
Steve
Snicker..........actually, I have a lot of "stock" too but the problem is that it's all unbalanced. My older PA and misc audio gear was probably some of the last stuff built :roll: that had RCA jacks and tip-sleeve 1/4" jacks. So I have this marvelous batch of multicolor coded, multicable stuff to hook it all together. And they were pretty good cables, too - nicely shielded, never gave me a lick of trouble. The new stuff is pretty much all balanced and quite a lot is XLR, of which I had very few cables and so had to plunk down a good chunk o' change for that.

Aside from the $$$$$ I don't mind it so much, as the balanced lines do tend to give a less noisy signal particularly in longer lengths; not to mention generally being more immune to RFI etc.

Well, I got the right stuff now and so the fit on the 2488 is no longer an issue but it would be interesting to see how many other people got "bit" on that one..........

Now after the "big gig" I'm still trying to locate (for the video side) a standalone DVD recorder that will let me *input* HD video from my digital HD cameras. Can't find one with an HDMI *input* anywhere, and I have been led to believe that it may actually be *illegal*. All I have been able to come up with has a *composite* connection - which is completely idiotic. Why in the world would I want to downgrade a good HD signal that way?

The wife and I were talking about this just last night whilst looking in Wally World at the video section - the DOJ apparently won't do anything about clearly illegal pirated videos from places like China, but I can get prosecuted for taking my own video.........for which the copyright is MINE..... and making good DVDs or BluRays from it? Guilty until proven innocent, I guess......

Duane

Bobt3

Post by Bobt3 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am

I was looking through the owner's manual, and here is what it says about monitoring:

Headphone Output (40)
The Headphone Output is a 1⁄4" TRS (tip= left; ring = right; sleeve = ground). The signal sent to this output is normally the left/right mix. When the Tape to Control Room switch is engaged, the tape input signal is added to the left/right mix and can be monitored in the headphones.

When I engage the Tape to CTRL/HP switch, the tape is not added to the mix, it replaces the mix so I can only hear one at a time. Does my board need to be repaired?

Peaveypro

Post by Peaveypro » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:48 am

Your trying to bounce tracks or overdub while listening to the original track and lay down another, NO thats not going to be possible with that setup, while you might be able to do it the timing is going to be hard unless you can work to a click track maintaining meter....Today its easier to buy one of these little Tascam etc digital recorders that use a SD card and then you can bounce tracks....and monitor your last track in some headphones while playing onto another mono track, onceyour done youll have a Mono multitrack recording..
Don Lanier
Pearl Pro Audio
Facebook.com/PearlProAudio

vegito

Post by vegito » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:19 am

I have FX2 16 i am curious how big can i plugin in to the USB port with out any problems. I want to buy 16 of 32 GB..

jim h

Post by jim h » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:36 am

16Gb should work ok, not sure about the 32Gb.

vegito

Post by vegito » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Well i have a kingston data travel 16gb fat32 stick and the unit thus not read it...

is there a compatible list for usb sticks.

jim h

Post by jim h » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:06 am

There is no official list. Every stick we tried during development worked. We obviously didn't have access to every memory stick available, we did try several brands and sizes.

Do you get any messages from the mixer? Or just no response?

Since I don't know the steps you've taken, I'll post the steps for playback.

1. With the mixer "on", plug in the memory stick.
2. Press Digital I/O button.
3. With "memory stick" highlighted, press "select" using the left encoder switch.
4. Message should appear warning you about having 2 USB sources plugged in at once.
5. Press OK.
6. MP3 Playback/Record screen should appear.
7. Press "select" to show memory stick contents.

If you get that far, then everything is working. If not, maybe try another stick of another brand or size.

vegito

Post by vegito » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Okay.. i know how to access the usb recording because i have a 1 gb usb stick that works.

But i have 2 16 gb usb stick that are not working.

I have formated to fat32 mixer says no usb device but when i format to ntfs that mixer says usb detected but the logo spins thus not go further.

so i think there but be a brand of type usb thats are recommended like

kingston, corsair, etc..

jim h

Post by jim h » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:36 pm

I have a Patriot 8gb that works and we tested several 16Gb drives that all worked. I really have no other explanation for why yours isn't working. We did have some compatibility problems in the first generation of FX mixer, but in the 2 we are using a commercially available USB driver, so that should be greatly improved.

I don't think NTFS will work, try formatting FAT16.

vegito

Post by vegito » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:46 pm

Okay 16GB works now i have 2 diverent USB kingston stick and somehow one works but not al the time. Maybe chipset issues of the usb drivers.

My next question is how can i add external effect processor like my TC eletronic G-sharp.

I have hookup but the sound is bad. I have connected though aux 1 returned in a stereo channel insert.

what i want is to combine internal effects and external.

jdrag39

Post by jdrag39 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:18 pm

hi i have just purchased peavey PV10 usb mixer and when i hook it up to my macbook pro nothing happens. its as if the computer isnt recognizing my mixer. ive downloaded numerous recording software such as reaper64, presonus, audacity, and of course the garage band that comes with macs and still nothing. i was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem and get the two to communicate. the usb port works and the mixer works. any advice would be appreciated i feel as though ive tried everything.

Reachout_Church

Post by Reachout_Church » Fri May 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi all,

First timer here. I've just purchased a PV20 mixer with USB, and tried to connect it to an mp3 recorder, namely a IMG Stage Line Compact MP3 Recorder. However, it doesn't seem to recognize the mixer (the display on the mp3 recorder just flashes 'USB' and won't allow me to record. It is because the driver for the mixer can't be picked up by the mp3 recorder? I'm using a normal A-B USB cable. I may have to connect the mixer via the 1/4 inch outputs at the top of the mixer (below the main out XLR sockets) and into the RCA aux sockets at the back of the mixer to solve this issue, but ideally I would still like to use USB for recording. The MP3 recorder was bought specificially for this purpose.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Mark.

jim h

Post by jim h » Fri May 30, 2014 4:27 pm

I suspect it's because the recorder is looking for a storage device (like a hard drive or memory stick), not a streaming audio device, like the mixer. I know the connections are the same, but the communications are very different.

I think you are going to have to connect through the analog I/O of the mixer and the USB recorder.

Reachout_Church

Post by Reachout_Church » Sat May 31, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks for your advice.

We are using the XLR outputs for the main FOH speakers - can I use the 1/4" jacks below the XLR main outs to connect to the MP3 recorder? It says in the mixer manual that both sets of outputs can be used simultaneously.

Once again any advice would be really appreciated.