noise PV6 USB

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
ruudhabets

noise PV6 USB

Post by ruudhabets » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:13 am

Hi,
I am looking for some confirmation.
I have a stand alone PV6 USB mixer (so, not attached with computer or mikes or anything, excpt for headphones)
When I turn on any channel (gain and/or) volume control, I hear a lot of noise through the headphones.
Is my PV6 broken? I cannot remember having this before (I have not been using the PV6 for some weeks now)

Also, very strange, tapping the power cord can be heard through the headphones.. Hmmm ....

Ruud

colliedogboy1

Re: noise PV6 USB

Post by colliedogboy1 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Unfortunately, your PV6 mixer is not broken. Mine has always been noisy, especially through the headphones.
Last edited by colliedogboy1 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim h

Post by jim h » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:39 am

This is not normal, the PV6 is extremely quiet. It is possible that it is an early model, we've made a few updates along the way. However, most of the updates were related to USB or being connected to a computer. Not connected to the computer, it should be very quiet, regardless of it's age.

Can you describe or record the noise?

Alps

Post by Alps » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:28 pm

I have the same issue. I contacted support in Oct of 2015 and they had me send the unit in. They sent it back stating there was no issue, and I believe they swapped out the power adapter. However, I am now ready to use it and once again, the same awful squealing, white noise persists. The noise exists with nothing but headphones plugged in. I have had this unit for more than the five year warranty, however, but it has NEVER actually been used. :x
Any advice?

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:54 am

Without anything plugged into the input the impedance goes very high and becomes much more sensitive making the noise much stronger. You must have an input plugged in to obtain a good noise floor. Just turning up an unused channel to check the noise won't work like you think.

Plug a sound source in, then only use that channel . . . now how does it sound ?
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----

Alps

Post by Alps » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:12 am

Thank you for the response. I've tried it with a variety of gear plugged in and running it through my small PA, but the screaming persists. At this point it is completely unusable as no one would want to listen to that.

Alps

Post by Alps » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Jim H is the man! He contacted me and had me send the unit to him personally, made the repair and shipped it back. Sounds great now! I cannot say enough about his customer service! Thank you Jim!

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 am

What was the fix for it? Maybe mine needs a little TLC.

Alps

Post by Alps » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:46 am

Jim changed out the power supply in the unit. Apparently my unit was an early one and they had some issues with the early power supplies.