Linking Two Peavey Automix 8 Mixers

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Roughrider15601

Linking Two Peavey Automix 8 Mixers

Post by Roughrider15601 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm running out of channels at our church and just picked up another Automix 8. It looks like a no-brainier in the manual, you just use a 4-conductor shielded cable to connect the two mixers. However the drawing shows 5-leads between the two terminal blocks, not indicating which conductor is the shield. Were it not for two "GND" terminals, I wouldn't be asking this question. The terminals are as follows: "Aux Bus" -- "GND" -- C Bus" -- "Gnd" -- "A Bus". Thanks in advanced. BarryP

jim h

Re: Linking Two Peavey Automix 8 Mixers

Post by jim h » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:10 am

The two GND connections are identical, you can connect the shield to either one.

They don't make a 4 position connector, only 3 and 5. So I doubled the ground connections. You can never have enough ground.

Roughrider15601

Re: Linking Two Peavey Automix Mixers

Post by Roughrider15601 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 pm

I just noticed that I made an error on my original post, I want to link an Automix 2 (Slave) with an Automix 8 (Master), should I have any issues?

jim h

Post by jim h » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:30 am

We need to identify which Automix's you have. Do both units have the same connections on the Link port?

The oldest Automix had different connections, but can still be linked. It had C Load, C Bus, GND, A Bus and A Load. Is this what you have?

Roughrider15601

Post by Roughrider15601 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:34 pm

The Link Port connections are exactly the same on both mixers. What has me wondering is when they say to connect the two units with a 4-conductor shielded cable and shows 5-leads connecting the two mixers. From what you have told me about the two "GND" terminals being the same, it appears to me that I'll connect the shield to a "GND" terminal on each unit and then 3-wires in the shield would connect together the "Aux Bus", "C-Bus" and the "A Bus" on each unit but what about the 4th wire, would it connect the other "GND" terminals on each unit or don't I need it? I know I ask a lot of questions but that is how I try to stay out of trouble. Thanks!

jim h

Post by jim h » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:03 am

You're overthinking this a bit...the grounds are simply paralleled due to the extra conductor on the connectors that were available.

A 4 conductor shielded wire is assumed to be 4 signal conductors, with a shield.

To be honest, as long as the shield is connected to gnd on both ends, you should be fine.