setting up my sound

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
cloudshaker

setting up my sound

Post by cloudshaker » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Help would be greatly appreciated, I have a peavey 1220 powered mixer. 2- pv 215 main speakers, 2-powered pv 118 subs, and 2 -pv112 monitors. I also have a peavey Ipr 2000 amplifier, and a DBX 215 EQ. I am trying to configure the mains, separated from the monitors with the ability to control each totally independent from each other. Right now I am running the mains out of the internal amp on the back, and coming out of the 1/4 " mon1 & mon2 on the top into the eq. and ip2000 to the subs. I have the internal amps set to left, right, and sub led lit. when I use the monitor knows on each channel they are quiet until I turn the channel gain up on each channel. is this normal or is there a way to completely seperate the control independently between the mains and subs while still using the powered subs. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

colliedogboy1

Re: setting up my sound

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:55 pm

You don't have the ip2000 amp connected to the powered 18" subs, do you?

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:35 pm

If you will select the "Stereo" mode with the Power Amp Mode switch of the XR1220, you can connect one PV215 to the left speaker output and one PV215 to the right speaker output. This way, the two internal amps will power the two main speakers at a 4 ohm load for each amp--just right. Then, you can connect a 1/4" cable to the "Mon 1" output jack and run it to an input of the DBX 215 EQ. If the DBX 215 EQ only has XLR inputs, use a 1/4" TRS-to-XLR male adapter cable to make the connection. Then connect the output of the DBX 215 EQ to the input jack of the IP2000. Run the IP200 in "Parallel" or "Mono" mode (whatever it's called) and each side of the amp will get the same input signal. This way, you can either connect two monitor speakers to one side of the IP2000 for a 4 ohm load (which is fine), or you can connect one monitor speaker to each side of the IP2000 for an 8 ohm load (which is also fine).
Your monitors will be completely separate and independent from the mains, with the DBX 215 equalizing your monitor speakers and the internal 9-band equalizers affecting your main speakers. If you feel you need the two powered PV118 subs, you can connect a 1/4" cable to the "Sub" output jack and run it to the first sub, then daisy-chain a cable to the next sub. The built-in xover will act as a low-pass filter.
If you want two separate monitor mixes, you can connect "Mon 1" output jack to side A of the DBX EQ and connect "Mon 2" output jack to side B of the DBX EQ. Connect the output of side A of the DBX to side A of the IP2000, then connect the output of side B of the DBX to side B of the IP2000. Set the IP2000 to "Stereo" mode for two separate monitor mixes, each with its own equalization and volume controls. Of course, one monitor speaker connects to the output jack of each side of the IP2000 for an 8 ohm load.

cloudshaker

Post by cloudshaker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:25 am

colliedogboy 1, Thanks for your help, I believe I have the system set up exactly as you have specified, only I am not sure where I have set the output selector of the Ip
2000. I have the subs basically daisy changed 1out of sub out input, then a jump from the first sub to the second. I have the left and right main connecye6to left, and right on the back of 1220, then a connection from mon1, mon2 on the top of the mixer going to my eq. then to power amp, then to monitors. I have the internal amps set to stereo left and right, with the sub led lit activating the output. As configured the mon1&2 master slides work the monitors, and the main slides works the mains. Should the gain on the channel increase and decrease the volume to the monitors of just affect the main output ?

jim h

Post by jim h » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:24 am

The channel gain affects the volume everywhere the channel is assigned, Monitors, EFX or mains.

The channel fader is used to adjust the level in the mains, without affecting the monitor levels.

You set the channel gain by using the PFL, turn it up until the peaks (of a normal input signal) light up the 0dB or +6dB on the main LED array.

Once that is set, you adjust the amount of that particular channel in the monitor mix with the monitor send knob (in that channel).

Then use the channel fader to set the amount of that channel signal in the main mix.

Use the monitor master faders and the main faders to adjust the overall volume of each output.