XR1212 Passive Tops Powered Sub bad sound Help Please (first peavey amp/mixer)

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Nightfall2081

XR1212 Passive Tops Powered Sub bad sound Help Please (first peavey amp/mixer)

Post by Nightfall2081 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Hello Everyone,

New to the forums and new to using Peavey equipment. I recently had my equipment stolen from my truck after a gig and had a heck of a time finding a replacement Power Mixer with the feature sets I like. I had a Yamaha emx5000 for years that was my easy go to and I really enjoyed the sound I got out of it. After plenty of reviews I was pointed towards this Peavey XR1212. In the price range I was looking at few offered dual monitor outs and I still haven't found one that has mono/sub sliders. But I read this one included a sub-out mode with built in cross over.

Ok so now my problem :) I hooked it all up and I'm not getting the quality sound I enjoyed with my Yamaha on paper everything here should sound better but it's "off" sub volumes are way too low and not mixing in well. I find it difficult to raise my sub/bass levels without a dedicated slider/knob for that extra oomph when I need it. The tops sound very clear but again the bass oomph isn't there.

I have two basic setups I'll be using this for. One is for a weekly karaoke show where I keep it real simple moderate volume. The other is for my 4 piece band we jam it hard 80's want a good thump.

Equipment For Karaoke: XR1212, 2x passive Yamaha S115V's, 1 active 12" monitor and Rockville RBG15S Active sub
Equipment For Band: XR1212, 2x passive Yamaha S115V's, 2 active 12" monitors and 2x 18" Rockville RBG18FA active subs.

Now with either setup I'm running it in main/main and sub mode on. Active monitors in the top monitor 1/4 plugs. Sub(s) going from the mono\sub-out. Get great volume from the monitors but I'm having weak bass from the subs, when I crank the system up the tops sound very clean and have more than enough juice, but the highs/mids are over powering any low end. Eq'ing helps a bit but I'm lacking a slider/know to give that extra push, I have the volumes maxed on the subs and I'm at the 80\100 range. With my old setup it was almost the opposite problem over powering bass where I would just reduce the volume at the back of the subs. Now they are maxed and still not making much impact.

I tried plugging the subs into the monitor 2 port so I could have a slider and that gave me the boost I needed but made it all kind of muddy. The powered subs have crossover built in.

What can I do to balance out the sound and have that extra "push/thump" when I need it? It all seems so simple and was on my old board I thought it would be the same here but something is off any tweaks or suggestions on how to run this Peavey is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

Dano0369

Re: XR1212 Passive Tops Powered Sub bad sound Help Please (first peavey amp/mixer)

Post by Dano0369 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:05 am

Hell-o Sir; Have you tried running the sub from the passive outputs on the top of the mixer? If your using the mono sub out on the board you need to disable the crossover on the sub. I think the board is lr 24 @120, if you set the sub in the 80 to 100 hz range you just put a big hole in the freq. performance that may be why sub sound is weak. Good luck :arrow:
Dano0369

Jamesjr54

Re: XR1212 Passive Tops Powered Sub bad sound Help Please (first peavey amp/mixer)

Post by Jamesjr54 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am

Hi - I am running a similar system: XR1212 w/passive Yamaha 15s mains, and 2 or 3 powered monitors using Mon 1 or 2 outputs.

I want to add a powered sub. The used Mackie 1801 I'm looking at has XLR inputs only. Also has internal crossover at 125Hz. The Mono/Sub output on the XR121 is 1/4 inch. From the Mackie manual: "The subwoofer's internal active crossover splits the input signals into two frequency bands. The low frequency range below 125Hz goes to the internal amplifier that powers the subwoofer. The frequency range above 125Hz is sent to the line-level output jacks."

So, would I connect the sub to the unpowered XLR outputs on the top right of the board? Thanks!