humm in speakers

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
lewiss

humm in speakers

Post by lewiss » Fri May 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Have a Peavey RQ2326, Horizon Stage Series 100' snake and a Crest CPX 1500 amp.
The amp is in a small closet in front of building away from mixer so I use two 1/4" returns of the snake.
I use the 1/4" ends into unbalanced outputs on mixer and I get a low/soft constant humm in speakers no matter sound volume. I purchased two XLR to 1/4" adapters and run outputs through this to correct humm. This is the only way I have found to eliminate humm. From the snake to the amp I use two 1/4" unbalanced cables but thinking about buying two 1/4" balanced (TRS) cables and see if that helps.
The reason I need to get rid of the adapters is that by the time you plug in the 1/4" returns into the adapters, it sticks out 6-7 inches out the back of the mixer and I need every inch I can get to move the mixer closer to a wall in the sound room plus I'd like the system to work as needed.

any suggestions welcomed,

colliedogboy1

Re: humm in speakers

Post by colliedogboy1 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Same adapters you have are available as a short CABLE adapter and do not require so much space at the back of your mixer. Sold by Peavey, Hosa, Monoprice, Sweetwater Sound, B&H Photo/Video. Mine cost about $15 apiece.

lewiss

Re: humm in speakers

Post by lewiss » Sat May 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks, will look for them