Adding Powered Sub to 16FX mixer

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
HEEHAW

Adding Powered Sub to 16FX mixer

Post by HEEHAW » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:15 pm

I am not a sound man by any stretch. I am just trying to figure this all out for my sons rock band.

First I will tell you my setup.
Running the 16FX with 2 Crown 800 watt amps
1 for the mains JBL JRX100's
1 for the monitors

I am thinking about adding a Powered Subwoofer with internal crossover to the system
A: I don't know if it is really needed... but, I would like more thump
B: I am not sure how to connect the Sub out of the back of the mixer

The main outs, Left and Right XLR's are ran to the amps
The main outs, 1/4's are both are still free.

From what I can gather by all the reading I have been doing I should able to simply run a 1/4 from the (Left) Main out directly to the powered sub with internal crossover and the rest should take care of itself.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Josjor

Re: Adding Powered Sub to 16FX mixer

Post by Josjor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:23 am

That would do the trick, running from the L out on the mixer. But a couple questions:
1. Are you panning anything on the mixer or running the same signal out of both the L and R outputs?
2. Is there a hi-pass option on your Crown power amps? If there is a hi-pass option on your power amp, engage it.

A couple alternative ideas for you:
1.Really all you want through the sub is the kick drum and a bit of the bass guitar so an aux fed sub would work well for you. Pick an aux out...say Aux 4.... and hook your sub up to that output. Turn up the Aux 4 master to unity and then slowly turn up the Aux 4 sends on the kick drum and bass channel until the desired level is reached. Using a post fader aux is best so aux 5 or 6 would be better, though you might already be using those for EFX.
2. If you aren't panning anything (and honestly, there's no real good reason to for most people), choose just the R output and go to your powered sub. Then go from the hi-pass output on the sub to the power amp for your mains. This will remove the sub frequencies from your JBL's and give you better sound overall and more headroom.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

HEEHAW

Re: Adding Powered Sub to 16FX mixer

Post by HEEHAW » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks!
Yeah, not doing any panning.
I appreciate all the info. This thing is like a science project.
Trying my best to not make them sound horrible. I have only ran the system twice. Just getting the basics of gains etc gives me migraines! LOL! The digital portion of the board is something I have looked into a little. I just have a little echo and rockabilly programmed for vocals. That thing scares the tar out of me.
Your knowledge has helped me a ton!! So now I am not afraid of adding the subwoofer for the boys.
Thanks again!!