Newbie into mixing

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Chipmunk

Newbie into mixing

Post by Chipmunk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi people, I have just started to help with our church peavey xr1204 mixer, I would like to know what multicore and stage box number of sends / returns Tec.
We have old box with just 12 jack connections and would like to update to xlr.
Plus would appreciate all help in using mixer as well

colliedogboy1

Re: Newbie into mixing

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:58 pm

If you want a new snake with XLR sends, Peavey sells several different lengths and configurations. One of them would surely fit your needs. You can find them under "Accessories" > "Cable Products".
For help in using the mixer, you can download the manual/operating guide for the XR1204 and print it out for yourself. Find it under "Support" > "Owner's Manuals/Operating Guides" > "Search Archived Owner's Manuals" > click on "X" and find the XR1204. Click on that and read the manual or download it for free. It explains a LOT about the mixer and how to use it. Also, under the "Support" tab, click on "Tech Notes" and find a wealth of information about pro audio in general. Peavey has a "P A Bible" (I call it) that covers almost every detail about pro audio. So do other companies, such as Electro-Voice and Yamaha.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks friend, been looking, and have the manual, just want to know if I buy a new snake and stage box for the peavey xr1204 will a box of 12/4, = 12 sends and 4 returns be the one to get, as at this moment we are only running with a 12 send jack box with no returns.
I want to get right xlr stage box to learn to get the best out of the mixer and me lol
Thanks again
Be safe

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:50 pm

A 12/4 snake would certainly give you many more options, if you need options. Maybe all you want is a "powered snake" which has 12 sends and a couple of speaker cables in it so that you can run a mono mains/aux 1 setup. This would let you power the mains and a set of stage monitor speakers through the snake without having to lay out separate speaker cables. They seem to be hard to find anymore, however. You might have to get something like the Whirlwind "Mini 12 Audio Drop Snake". It has only 12 XLR/XLR sends to connect 12 mics to your mixer. It has no returns to the stage, so you will have to run at least one speaker cable per mix from the mixer to the stage. Most live performances require one cable for the mono 2-speaker main mix and another for a mono 2-speaker stage monitor setup. You would daisy-chain from the first main speaker to the second one, and daisy-chain from the first monitor speaker to the second one. You could even run a "Monitor 2" mix, but it would require another amplifier and another speaker cable to power the second set of stage monitor speakers. Possibilities, possibilities! :)